Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
thirty_three
thirty_three began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Can't convert to Kepub anymore

A few days ago I made the mistake of updating my version of Calibre for the first time and realized it took away the option of converting to Kepub. I tried reinstalling the KoboTouchExtended plugin, and while it acts like it installed, after restarting Calibre, the plugin isn't in my list of installed plugins. If I try installing it again, an error comes up with the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 200, in load
File "site-packages\polyglot\builtins.py", line 123, in reload
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 169, in reload
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 602, in _exec
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 184, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 9, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' from 'calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver' (<calibre Plugin Loader>)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre several times and the error persists. I also tried installing Kepubify, but it doesn't actually convert the file to Kepub, it just changes the filename.

Any advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated! I feel like without the ability to read in Kepub format the device is considerably less usable. Anything that converts to Kepub will be a lifesaver. Thank you in advance!
thirty_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty_three View Post
A few days ago I made the mistake of updating my version of Calibre for the first time and realized it took away the option of converting to Kepub. I tried reinstalling the KoboTouchExtended plugin, and while it acts like it installed, after restarting Calibre, the plugin isn't in my list of installed plugins. If I try installing it again, an error comes up with the following:

File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 9, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED' from 'calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver' (<calibre Plugin Loader>)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre several times and the error persists. I also tried installing Kepubify, but it doesn't actually convert the file to Kepub, it just changes the filename.

Any advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated! I feel like without the ability to read in Kepub format the device is considerably less usable. Anything that converts to Kepub will be a lifesaver. Thank you in advance!
You could try Kepubify which indeed does convert the epub to a kepub — open it with Sigil or calibre's editor and see the <span> tags added everywhere. You could check the various Kepub plugin threads in the calibre forum's Plugins forum. You could wait for the next release of calibre which corrects the issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty_three View Post
Have you tried uninstalling and installing a pre-5.x.x version of Calibre?

4.x.x versions here...

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/4.html

Or choose from any age release here...

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/

Last edited by rcentros; 10-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
thirty_three
thirty_three began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could try Kepubify which indeed does convert the epub to a kepub — open it with Sigil or calibre's editor and see the <span> tags added everywhere. You could check the various Kepub plugin threads in the calibre forum's Plugins forum. You could wait for the next release of calibre which corrects the issue.
Thanks David, I think you may be right about Kepubify. My computer and Calibre list the converted file as Epub, but when I add it to my Kobo device, it does indeed read it as Kepub. I appreciate the response, I guess I'll stick with Kepubify until there's a Calibre update.
thirty_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I think it's a combination of issues in both calibre and the Kobo extended / kepub calibre drivers. There are beta versions both of calibre and the drivers available.

As DSNB said check the calibre plugins forum for links to everything.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The same thing happened to me when I updated to Calibre 5.0.1. I uninstalled and reinstalled version 4.23 and all was fine.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
So, are the golden days of KePub on the fly and DRM management gone for good with the new Calibre?

I'm staying on version 4.23.x for now.

And I guess I should also stop updating the firmware of my Kobo. It's up to date, but who knows how it will behave with Calibre 4.23.x and future firmware updates.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
So, are the golden days of KePub on the fly and DRM management gone for good with the new Calibre?
Of course not,. If you took the time to check in the calibre plugins forums you'd see beta versions are available for the KePub on the fly issue. DRM management is also being worked on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Of course not,. If you took the time to check in the calibre plugins forums you'd see beta versions are available for the KePub on the fly issue. DRM management is also being worked on.
Thanks.

I follow a bit the DRM issues in Github. Slow. I did not know about the beta plugins.

Still, not updating anything soon.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kepub, update