Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
ebook-polish failing to initialize plugins

I am using linux 32-bit binaries, 5.44. I've installed the kepub plugins locally. ebook-convert has no problem converting to kepub, but when I run ebook-polish, I get:

Code:
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Input.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Metadata Reader.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Metadata Writer.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Output.zip'
Any idea why ebook-convert has no problem with these plugins but ebook-polish fails?
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ebook-polish doesn't work on kepub anyway.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkessel View Post
I am using linux 32-bit binaries, 5.44. I've installed the kepub plugins locally. ebook-convert has no problem converting to kepub, but when I run ebook-polish, I get:

Code:
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Input.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Metadata Reader.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Metadata Writer.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/adam/.config/calibre/plugins/KePub Output.zip'
Any idea why ebook-convert has no problem with these plugins but ebook-polish fails?
Polish the ePub and use the KoboTouchExtended to convert to KePub as the eBook is sent to your Kobo. That way Polish works and you don't have to have a second copy stored.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Polish the ePub and use the KoboTouchExtended to convert to KePub as the eBook is sent to your Kobo. That way Polish works and you don't have to have a second copy stored.
Before giving an answer like that, how about opening a command-line and trying to run "ebook-polish". Without any arguments. It will print the help for the command. But, before it does that, it will print errors about loading these plugins. It is a fault in how they initialise. As they don't get used, it doesn't matter if they fail to initialise. Maybe one day I'll spend some time to fix it, but, it isn't that important.

And note, it isn't just ebook-polish. Some of the other commands show the same error when starting as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
ajkessel
Connoisseur

KoboTouchExtended vs ebook-convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm scripting all my syncing using KoboCloud. I gather KoboTouchExtended is just for transferring over a wire. Is there any reason my workflow can't be:

- ebook-convert filename.html to filename.epub
- ebook-polish filename.epub polished.epub
- ebook-convert polished.epub to final.kepub

(and then final.kepub ends up in a cloud storage folder that gets synced to the Kobo device)

I.e. any difference between these steps and transferring to the Kobo over a wire using KoboTouchExtended?
Old 07-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm scripting all my syncing using KoboCloud. I gather KoboTouchExtended is just for transferring over a wire. Is there any reason my workflow can't be:

(and then final.kepub ends up in a cloud storage folder that gets synced to the Kobo device)

I.e. any difference between these steps and transferring to the Kobo over a wire using KoboTouchExtended?
For a command line tool for converting epub to kepub, you might want to look at kepubify instead of ebook-convert.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:13 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

The difference is that the conversion does what the name says, a conversion. Calibre conversions basically work by changing the book to a common format and then converting to the final format. It does a lot of things including rebuilding the CSS, the ToC, splitting files, etc. And in the case of a conversion to kepub, it is actually using the epub conversion then kepubifying that. So a conversion from epub to kepub is really an epub to epub conversion plus what the extended driver does.

Looking at your commands, what is the point of the Polish? The conversion should be able to do all the options that are in the Polish. The steps might make sense when using the GUI. You add the HTML file to calibre with an automatic conversion to epub. Then download metadata followed by the Polish and then a conversion. But, the Polish can be skipped as all options in it are in the conversion. Or done when calibre does a save-to-disk or send-to-device.

And, unless you also want the epub for other reasons, you could probably go directly from the HTML to kepub.

With what you are doing, @DNSB's suggestion to use kepubify for the last step is a good idea. That does basically the same thing as the extended driver when transforming an epub to kepub. The full conversion is not needed, so it will be quicker.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And, unless you also want the epub for other reasons, you could probably go directly from the HTML to kepub.

With what you are doing, @DNSB's suggestion to use kepubify for the last step is a good idea. That does basically the same thing as the extended driver when transforming an epub to kepub. The full conversion is not needed, so it will be quicker.
But kepubify apparently can't handle HTML. So would I do ebook-convert HTML-->kepub, and then kepubify the kepub file?
Old 07-23-2022, 11:40 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For a command line tool for converting epub to kepub, you might want to look at kepubify instead of ebook-convert.
Quote:
But kepubify apparently can't handle HTML. So would I do ebook-convert HTML-->kepub, and then kepubify the kepub file?
Please note the "converting epub to kepub" in my post. I was suggesting replacing the last line attempting to convert epub to kepub using ebook-convert. This would change your high level workflow to:

- kepubify polished.epub to final.kepub

Kepubify takes an epub book as the input and outputs a kepub book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook-polish, kepub