Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2024, 11:29 PM   #466
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
What would concern me most, if I allowed my Kindle to go online, is this scenario:
  1. I buy a book from Amazon
  2. I load it into Calibre (I do this with 100% of my purchases)
  3. DRM is automatically removed during the process of importing the book into Calibre via the DeDRM plugin
  4. I side load the book from Calibre onto my Kindle
  5. Amazon removes the book if my Kindle goes online

I do not know if the item that worries me - item 5 above - actually happens or not. Because I never allow my Kindle to go online for Amazon to get the chance. I do not know what parts of an eBook that DeDRM touches and if Amazon is going to get into a tizzy if they discover such modification and therefore decide to delete my book (now, or in the future after they update Kindle firmware or their cloud servers). I'm not about to test this myself either, because Amazon will also try to update the firmware on my Kindle, and I don't want that either. That firmware update could be the one that automatically deletes DeDRM'ed books!

I doubt I am the only one on these forums that would be annoyed if DeDRM'ed eBooks were removed by Amazon. Again, I don't know that this will happen, because I'm not going to test it. I wouldn't mind reloading books that went missing during a test because I only keep maybe a dozen on the Kindle at a time. But I don't want any firmware update. Amazon could change the functionality of my Kindle in ways that I do not like. Newer is not always better.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:24 AM   #467
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Personally I make use of Amazon’s send to Kindle feature for books obtained elsewhere. It delivers books in the latest KFX format with cover thumbnails and synchronized reading position and annotations across devices. To me that is far superior to sideloading via USB.
I specifically didn't want the KFX format when I used Kindles. KFX doesn't work with the FONT_RAMP hack which was essential to me, it has a fixed line height that's larger than I prefer, and it uses hyphenation which I hate. So I would certainly not use Send to Kindle if I had a Kindle.

Anyway, it seems pretty unlikely I'll ever buy a Kindle again, as Amazon got rid of the Oasis, their only buttoned device, and doesn't seem to be planning to replace it. They might decide to release a color Kindle at some point, but unless they dramatically improve the current color tech, I won't be interested in that, especially if it has no buttons.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:23 AM   #468
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot stand KFX. It prevents using the font metrics to control the line height. So what KFX is doing is forcing a line height that I find too large.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:42 AM   #469
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The azw3 on Kindle looks closer to Adobe rendered (and most decent apps that respect CSS) epub than KFX does. KFX two mainn features seems to be DRM even when publisher wants DRM free (though any Kindle will work) and ability to start reading while the ebook is downloading (negligable value unless you are on 28 kbps dialup or 2002 era GSM), apart from alleged "advanced typesetting". Both are often from the same uploaded to KDP epub except for large publishers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:49 AM   #470
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PW3 was quite good when I got it.
It's on 5.16.2 now and the GUI is terrible compared to the past and the "deletion" of content seems random, as is availability of "Publisher" fonts etc.

I just tried a Sync again after some months. So far the sideloaded content is still there (inc covers), but the Amazon content has no covers?

Last edited by Quoth; 05-08-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:22 PM   #471
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The azw3 on Kindle looks closer to Adobe rendered (and most decent apps that respect CSS) epub than KFX does. KFX two mainn features seems to be DRM even when publisher wants DRM free (though any Kindle will work) and ability to start reading while the ebook is downloading (negligable value unless you are on 28 kbps dialup or 2002 era GSM), apart from alleged "advanced typesetting". Both are often from the same uploaded to KDP epub except for large publishers.
You don't get kerning with KF8. But you do with KFX. Same with ligatures. But I think most can live without ligatures more so then kerning. As for hyphens, KF8 supports soft-hyphens very well. So that's not an issue. as we have the Hyphenate This! plugin or calibre polish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote