Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Access chess game in Nickel

Hello !

I've somehow become aware of the fact that there's a chess game installed by default in Nickel, somewhere behind the scenes, but for some reason access to it was removed.

My question is how to enable it again. Is there a way? I've been searching a bit, and all I find for now is how to install chess through the KSM. It appears as well that on older devices it is accessible from the parametres, but I can only notice that it isn't the case any more...

So, did some of you achieve to use chess from Nickel on a Kobo Clara ?
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Sorry but chess and crossword aren't anymore in recent FW (for chess was long time ago). But if you want to play chess you can install pbchess. It's a great program with deep analysis, severeal engines and access to chess books.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Access chess game in Nickel

On older devices, games can be accessed through Menu -> Settings -> Beta features. But from the Kobo Glo HD onwards they were all removed by hiding them. Chess used to be one of the games, but before the games were hidden Chess was replaced by something else if I recall correctly.

There is a patch to unhide games on newer devices including the Clara, but what you get is: Sketch Pad, Sudoku, Unblock it, Solitaire and Word Scramble.

If you want chess specifically you’re better off following boriar‘s advice
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
and crossword
Word Scramble? If you mean it, he hasn't gone anywhere.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Word Scramble? If you mean it, he hasn't gone anywhere.
Yes. I don't know what fw you use but the file is gone from fw package (libcrossword.so).

My mistake. The file for Word Scramble is libboggle.so, so the game gone is another (Cross Words?)

Last edited by boriar; 11-25-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: correct me
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chess, clara, clara hd, nickel