Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
Bondaygege
Bondaygege began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Main Menu Disappeared after Nickel Install

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to restore the top left main menu after installing Nickel, Koreader.

I have a bottom right Nickel Menu. But the old Kobo Main Menu has disappeared from the top left. I have uninstalled Nickel once but that didn't restore the top left main menu. So I installed it again, but still hasn't returned.

I'd appreciate some tips on fixing this.

thanks,

James
Bondaygege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:59 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondaygege View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to restore the top left main menu after installing Nickel, Koreader.

I have a bottom right Nickel Menu. But the old Kobo Main Menu has disappeared from the top left. I have uninstalled Nickel once but that didn't restore the top left main menu. So I installed it again, but still hasn't returned.

I'd appreciate some tips on fixing this.

thanks,

James
Last time I looked, the hamburger icon for the main menu at the top left was removed several firmware versions ago. Newer firmware has the home, my books, etc at the bottom of the screen. Do you see a clock in the upper left corner when you are on the home screen? What version of Kobo firmware do you have installed? Have you tried to install that firmware again?

Edit: added image of home screen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Homescreen - July 27-01.png
Views:	134
Size:	948.0 KB
ID:	192823

Last edited by DNSB; 03-17-2022 at 08:03 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #3
Bondaygege

Well that would bring a lot of peace to my troubleshooting. There was a lot of features in that particular menu however and now it seems like I have hardly any.
Thank you so much for offering some feedback, however. I really appreciate it.

I never done any kobo upgrading previously or mod-ing. I suppose that's why it was that way. Hahaha. I guess that explains it then. But tell me what should be in the Menu now in the bottom right? Well bottom right now is Nickel Menu for me with just Koreader and Plato.
To left it says "MOre" that only contains "My wishlist, my articles, activity, beta features, settings and Help."

It seems rather sparse to me. Is that all there is in the menu now?
I love Koreader. I must say!! It rocks for PDFs and stuff...
Old 03-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well that would bring a lot of peace to my troubleshooting. There was a lot of features in that particular menu however and now it seems like I have hardly any.
Thank you so much for offering some feedback, however. I really appreciate it.

I never done any kobo upgrading previously or mod-ing. I suppose that's why it was that way. Hahaha. I guess that explains it then. But tell me what should be in the Menu now in the bottom right? Well bottom right now is Nickel Menu for me with just Koreader and Plato.
To left it says "MOre" that only contains "My wishlist, my articles, activity, beta features, settings and Help."
Well, not much to say about Home or My Books, the less said about Discover the better. More is where the fun stuff is. Have you tried tapping on the More items such as Settings to explore what's is available? For NickelMenu, I have quite a few items in there. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	131
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	192831  
Old 03-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
Bondaygege

I certainly don't have those options when I click "More" from Nickel Menu. And these are all that pop up from the 'settings" option. Should I be seeing more or is this just cause I have a Kobo Clara HD?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220318_151651.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	192836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220318_151658.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	192837  
Old 03-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #6
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
I certainly don't have those options when I click "More" from Nickel Menu. And these are all that pop up from the 'settings" option. Should I be seeing more or is this just cause I have a Kobo Clara HD?

you need to tap on NickelMenu, not MORE button.

and you have to customize your nickelmenu for options that you want to have shortcuts for.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 PM   #7
Bondaygege

When I tap on Nickel Menu there's only two options. Koreader and Plato, the packages I installed. Should there be more or do you have install each one?
Old 03-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
When I tap on Nickel Menu there's only two options. Koreader and Plato, the packages I installed. Should there be more or do you have install each one?
You may want to take a look at the Best of NickelMenu thread for some examples of what can be done in NickelMenu. You can also look at the doc file in the .adds/nm directory.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #9
Bondaygege

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You may want to take a look at the Best of NickelMenu thread for some examples of what can be done in NickelMenu. You can also look at the doc file in the .adds/nm directory.
This look interesting. Are you suggesting, that by adding this info into a "nm" file it will expand Nickel Menu to show more things?
Old 03-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Bondaygege

Well thank you very much. I see all I had to do was to edit nm file and add some cool stuff like in the post suggested. I wonder all of these new menu items, were these features already pre-installed like "Screensaver" and "dark mode", etc? For example when I turn on Koreader, there's is no "dark mode". I appreciate the info. It's not obvious to noobs like me. But I still really appreciate hacking the Kobo. The previous PDF viewing was horrible.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:39 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
This look interesting. Are you suggesting, that by adding this info into a "nm" file it will expand Nickel Menu to show more things?
The idea behind NickelMenu is to create a configuration file for it that tells it what items to add to menus.

See step #5 in https://pgaskin.net/NickelMenu/#install
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Depending on what you want NickelMenu to allow you to do, you can have all kinds of fun with the configuration file(s). As PeterT mentioned, check the documentation most of which is included in the doc file installed when NickelMenu was installed.

And it is not an "nm" file, it is a configuration file for NickelMenu which is stored in the nm directory.

Tags
main menu, missing, nickel