Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2022, 03:03 AM   #1
heredos
heredos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara HD, Kobo libra 2
what's the clean way to stop and restart nickel?

I'm developing a small app for my kobo in c using SDL.
Since SDL1 does not support the kobo touchscreen, I have to work around reading touch inputs directly from /dev/input/event1. But obviously, nickel, that is still running under my app also gets the touch inputs and behave accordingly, sometimes drawing over my app.

I tried to have a launcher script doing a "killall nickel" before launching my app, but my Clara HD restarts after a few seconds when I do that.
I had a wild guess that qt handled this, but I don't want to add too many dependencies to my code, especially since I am not very comfortable with c++ and I never used qt before (I plan on learning them, though, but not right now, else my tech classes would really become boring).

Can some kobo developer with more experience than me tell me how they do it for their apps?

Thanks in advance, heredos
heredos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...r.sh#L159-L267

I'd read all the scripts in that folder, actually, as you'll most likely hit the same issues/requirements.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Not exactly what you asked, but you can also "grab" the input device in your app, so that Nickel no longer has access to touch events. I used it in a specific case where I wanted to run an app without exiting nickel, which was still running in the background :

Similar issue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ting-on-screen

The Python code I used back then:
https://github.com/Mavireck/Kobo-Inp...r/grabInput.py

(Remember Nickel is still running, and can update things on the screen, like the clock, or make the device go to sleep).
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
heredos
heredos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara HD, Kobo libra 2
Both of your answers will be very helpful thanks a lot!
heredos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developement, nickel