Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
not your average library question!

ok. i already searched, and haven't found a clear answer.</disclaimer>

my problem: i have 2 separate libraries. each has about 8k books.
the kicker: there are about 3k dupes between the 2, and about 150 dupes in one itself.

my goal: create an empty library, like a brand new install, without deleting my existing libraries.
then, i plan on importing them again, to weed out the dupes efficiently.

the kicker: i can't figure out how to get an empty library without copying the existing files.

i am not looking to restructure the library. i don't want to tweak anything - mad props to Kovid and all his work. I just am having difficulties applying it to my (possibly) unique situation.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Hrm, merging library's is that possible?

Thinking about removing all my short stories to a separate library the other day, as tend to take over the view...but won't if it will be irreversible.

I suppose you could export both librarys to Excel files, then merge the two spreadsheets together, then Use Conditional Formatting to Highlight Duplicates

have the Sheet side by side with you libary - hrm, kinda breaks down there, as you still won't really know which one to delete....

No wait it's still fine, you will know which library each file is from, you could colour them in excel to make it easy. Then it will be just one long day deleting the dupes.

Hrm, I wonder if you can save to disk from one library and then save to disk using the exact same path with the other library, would that merge the two...? (probably not)

Lastly as I've been no help, I'll just be nosy and ask.... why did you have two library's?
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegetz View Post
ok. i already searched, and haven't found a clear answer.</disclaimer>

my problem: i have 2 separate libraries. each has about 8k books.
the kicker: there are about 3k dupes between the 2, and about 150 dupes in one itself.

my goal: create an empty library, like a brand new install, without deleting my existing libraries.
then, i plan on importing them again, to weed out the dupes efficiently.

the kicker: i can't figure out how to get an empty library without copying the existing files.

i am not looking to restructure the library. i don't want to tweak anything - mad props to Kovid and all his work. I just am having difficulties applying it to my (possibly) unique situation.
There is an arrow
It is right next to the Library icon
On this arrow
There are choices.
The first is to Create (or switch).
If you create, it will be empty

Now use the same arrow to switch back to your existing Library

Now you can Select some books
and Right-click.
There are choices.
Choose the one that says 'Copy to Library'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You might want to try the find duplicates plugin
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, coolio, that means you can merge.
Thanks duck,er Cat, . So many programs so many arrows and options, don't be mad

So if I'm getting this right, I could for example, select all my Short stories and copy them to a separate library. Then if needed, I could then send them back to the main library?

If that's the case old mikegetz can just create a new one also then copy both his existing library's to it, then sort and delete the dupes - If he tags them first as library one library two, he could split them back into the two separate ones he had originally.
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Oh, coolio, that means you can merge.
Thanks duck,er Cat, . So many programs so many arrows and options, don't be mad

So if I'm getting this right, I could for example, select all my Short stories and copy them to a separate library. Then if needed, I could then send them back to the main library?

If that's the case old mikegetz can just create a new one also then copy both his existing library's to it, then sort and delete the dupes - If he tags them first as library one library two, he could split them back into the two separate ones he had originally.
Actually, the Dup detector should kick in during the second copy (merge) and warn/ask.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Lastly as I've been no help, I'll just be nosy and ask.... why did you have two library's?
one is from my work laptop, where i converted my .lit's ... the other is from my desktop / gaming rig ... mostly downloads and stuff.

thanks for the suggestions .. will have to check it out in the morning.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
transmitthis
Addict

Yes indeed thanks theducks
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
mikegetz
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is an arrow
It is right next to the Library icon
On this arrow
There are choices.
The first is to Create (or switch).
If you create, it will be empty

Now use the same arrow to switch back to your existing Library

Now you can Select some books
and Right-click.
There are choices.
Choose the one that says 'Copy to Library'
you know, i think that i have used this method already, and just forgot how.
I am currently importing (not copying) my first library into the new, empty one. I chose import, because i want to make sure that a: the DB is rebuilt from scratch, and b: the dupe detector kicks in.

Last edited by mikegetz; 06-11-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: early morning brainfart
Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
onedot3
Nameless Being

Use the Find Duplicate Plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131017
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
transmitthis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedot3 View Post
Is it worrying that I'm so much of a nerd that I don't have any use for that plugin. Being as all my tagged files are correctly spelt, in the right format, with initials and full stops in the right places, titles and authors all correct and accounted for etc.
Hrm, think I'd better go outside and stop being interfenestral all the time.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedot3 View Post
You are working way too hard.

Each record comes across with its tags... and is placed into the new DB. It will be assigned a New Index number. (series,Author,Publisher... link numbers that you never see)
Metadata.db is a Relational database comprised of many tables, triggers and indexes.
All the pieces have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
lol i just went into the documents folder and renamed the Calibre Library Folder to _Calibre Library so i didnt have to mess up my main library.

Then I imported a Ton of books that i didn't want mixed messed around with them got rid of duplicates with that duplicates plugin, converted then spat them back out as a save to disk then deleted the library. And started again with the letter B lol.

I find it easier to work with 3000-8000 at a time rather than 400,000 book files. Then eventually when everything is nice clean and converted i'll import them into the main library and then do a search for metadata.

There might be an easier way to switch between libraries but i havent tried it yet cuz i think i read in one of the posts somewhere that it bugged on someone dont no if its true just haven't bothered yet since it would take more time to back the entire library up.
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
mikegetz
Professional Nerd

well, i got all of the books imported, and probably about 70% of the obvious dupes weeded out.
now, i'm trying the plugin to weed out the rest. i like it. lots of merging, but i would rather pick which one to keep - it takes longer and is less efficient, but seems more graceful.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegetz View Post
well, i got all of the books imported, and probably about 70% of the obvious dupes weeded out.
now, i'm trying the plugin to weed out the rest. i like it. lots of merging, but i would rather pick which one to keep - it takes longer and is less efficient, but seems more graceful.
That plugin kicks ass do the fuzzy / fuzzy search with it...

that way if you have files like mine for example:

George RR Martin - Ice & Fire 1 - Game of Thrones (v5.0)
George Martin - Ice & Fire - Game of Thrones (1.2)
George RR Martin - Game of Thrones (v5)
George RR Martin - Ice & Fire - A Game of Thrones

It will find them all and group them together so you can decide which version to keep.
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote