Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2024, 11:52 AM   #1
.tycho
.tycho began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question How do I best use calibre and KoboTouchExtender?

Hi everyone,

So after using a 2018 Paperwhite since it came out, I decided to buy a new Libra 2 last week before they went out of stock, and after having used it since then, I am loving the experience! I should have made the change years ago. (I do have one stuck black pixel on the screen, but it's fairly well hidden, and I'm worried a replacement might have the same issue, so I'm willing to ignore it for now...)

I do have a few questions about how to best sideload my books onto the device. All my books are now in calibre 7.10 as epubs. I've installed KoboTouchExtender 3.6.7, and enabled "Send books as kepubs". And I know it's working because, on my Kobo, it says "KOBO EPUB" next to the book name. I do have a few questions, and while I've searched the forums, I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

My questions are:

1.) When I use calibre to "send to device", is there a way for calibre to both run a conversion on the epub using what I have set in the Common options in addition to converting it to kepub on the fly, and then sending that to the Kobo?

2.) If that's not possible, and I have a book with both the ORIGINAL_EPUB as well as the modified EPUB with my conversion options applied, when I "send to device", how do I tell calibre and the KTE plug-in which file to use? When I tried it, it seemed to send the original epub and not my modified epub.

I hope all this makes sense. Or maybe the approach I'm taking in calibre is all wrong, in which case, please kindly let me know!

Thanks so much for all your help!
.tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
My questions are:

1.) When I use calibre to "send to device", is there a way for calibre to both run a conversion on the epub using what I have set in the Common options in addition to converting it to kepub on the fly, and then sending that to the Kobo?
As far as I know, what you want is not possible in calibre without help. You could check the Action Chains plugin thread which should be able to run those actions.

Once you have converted a file, it has a stored list of the conversion options and you will need to remove those before any changes will be applied. You can do this from the Edit metadata in bulk dialog. See the Remove stored conversion settings for the selected books item in the attached image. Every so often, I will select all the books in my library and apply that action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
2.) If that's not possible, and I have a book with both the ORIGINAL_EPUB as well as the modified EPUB with my conversion options applied, when I "send to device", how do I tell calibre and the KTE plug-in which file to use? When I tried it, it seemed to send the original epub and not my modified epub.
The ePub version should be the one that is sent. AFAIR, original_epub is not even an option in the file formats list. See the first page of the KTE configuration dialog for that list. The original_epub will be used by Polish, ModifyEpub, etc.

Personally, I remove the original_epub file after I check the modified file and am happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-15 095505.png
Views:	33
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	208292  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 05:44 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The ePub version should be the one that is sent. AFAIR, original_epub is not even an option in the file formats list. See the first page of the KTE configuration dialog for that list. The original_epub will be used by Polish, ModifyEpub, etc.
Modify ePub will create an original_epub. But if one exists, it won't use it. That is good. Because I can sometimes do a Modify 2 or 3 times before it says there is nothing left to modify.

I do whish there was an option to do the original_epub the way Modify ePub does it because there are situations where you may want to polish multiple times and if you have the original_epub, that gets used when you don't want it to be used. If you want it to be used, you just restore it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
You can set up a separate library and move your original epubs to it, so you still have them but they're not in your working library.

I do this for books I've finished reading, so they're available to reread but aren't cluttering up my TBR pile.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote