Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Calibre shows series info, but Kobo doesn't receive it

I just sent 35 books to my Kobo Glo and I noticed the "Series Info" isn't being displayed on the Kobo, but it's in the correct field in Calibre. I've tried updating the metadata via Koboutilities, but none of the books get updated.

Books that show correctly on the Kobo are listed...

Title
Series
Author

Books that are incorrect just show...

Title
Author

I've tried deleting the books on the kobo and resending, but nothing. Now I've noticed that some books I send show the series info under the device tab - but Not on the Kobo.

Some of the new books sent DO show their series info but not all of them. Very strange!

Any idea what could be causing this? Thx
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Two things

Series info is not sent on the initial xfer of a book but the next time that the kobo is attached

Verify that metadata management is set to automatic
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Two things

Series info is not sent on the initial xfer of a book but the next time that the kobo is attached

Verify that metadata management is set to automatic
Yes to the second one - "metadata management is set to automatic"

I didn't know the first one - and it would seem that was the issue. I've never noticed that before. Thx very much.

One thing I still notice, is that the series info is NOT in the "Collections" field when I switch to the device tab in calibre. Some are, but most of the 35 I transferred are not. Any further info on this craziness
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The collections tab is showing the shelves / collections from the Kobo. Unless you place books on shelves / collections either natively on the Kobo or via the Kobo / KoboExtended drivers books will not be on shelves / collections.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The collections tab is showing the shelves / collections from the Kobo. Unless you place books on shelves / collections either natively on the Kobo or via the Kobo / KoboExtended drivers books will not be on shelves / collections.
Thx for the explanation. I never really look that closely at the Device Tab, so was not certain what was happening. The strange thing here is that while I was playing around trying to figure it at, some books I was uploading to the kobo did have the series in the "Collections" tab after I hit send to main memory - while others didn't.

I don't actually use book shelves. I played with them a while ago, but decided they weren't for me. More recently, I created a "Reading List" bookshelf, but I seems once I finished a book in it, it would delete the bookshelf - even though I hadn't finished all the books in there. This happened several times and I wondered if it was a bug in f/w 2.8.1??

Also, when I've deleted some books off the device to upload a new version that I've modded, I've found that the annotations sometimes are still there, while other times they delete with the book. Very odd. Maybe one day I'll figure it out .
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

If you're going to use shelves, just make them through calibre and the driver.

Otherwise what happens when you sync with calibre is that it's definitions of what is shelved where "overwrites" what you have done on the Kobo.

If you add a shelf definition in the driver of just
Code:
series
then all books in a given series will end up on a shelf based on the name of the series.

Probably why you were seeing some books with series info, and some without is that you had added some books on sync #1 with the Kobo, disconnected it, reconnected it and send some more books (in that series) over in sync #2.

When the Kobo was reattached for sync #2, the series info for books that had been transferred in sync #1 would have been updated in the database on the Kobo.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Hey...you've obviously done this before.

You're right, I haven't been paying enough attention to what is going on. Now I know what to look for, I'll probably see it first time.

Between the device, Calibre and Sigil - there are just too many things to play with. Thx
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

See Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 & above (Touch / Glo / Mini /Aura) for a guide to Shelves.