Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
acgref
acgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Showing Series Information on Kobo Aura

Hi, I'm very new to e-reading. I have a bunch of books I've just put onto my Kobo Aura HD but none show any series information. I have added the proper metadata using Calibre and sent them to my device through Calibre, but still none of the series information shows up on my Kobo.

For instance, I saw in another thread, someone uploaded a screenshot of their Kobo (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228164) and it shows the series name and number under the title. I would like to see this on mine, but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Any help is appreciated!
acgref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just make sure calibre is set to Automatic metadata management (see Preferences | Sending Books to Device) and then (this is the weird bit), send the books to the Kobo, disconnect the Kobo and allow it to process new content, and reattach the Kobo.

On the SECOND attachment, the series info from calibre will be added.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
acgref
acgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of lightacgref is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure I've done that and it's still not showing the information. Just to make sure, in Calibre, I went to Preferences - Change Calibre Behaviour - Sending books to devices and then in there, where it says Metadata Management, I changed it from Manual Management to Automatic Management.

After that, I sent the files to my device, ejected the device and let it load the new files. The new files are there on my Kobo with no Series info. I plugged it back in and waited until Calibre recognized the device and then ejected it again immediately. After I did that, there is still no Series information for the files.

Did I miss something?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
acgref

Ok, so now I feel kinda dumb. I just noticed a "configure this device" option under "devices" and there's a check box to set series information. I checked that off and all the info shows up.

So now, (I think I know the answer to this) is there a way to make the titles in the series show in order? In trying to just get my series info to appear, I read all about plugboards and tried one out for series'. I don't want my titles to be changed to include the series names and numbers though. I just want them to be in order as they are now. I think the answer is that this can't be done and that's fine...just checking. I'd rather have the titles be JUST the titles than have them in order (since I can at least see the book number now).
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgref View Post
So now, (I think I know the answer to this) is there a way to make the titles in the series show in order? In trying to just get my series info to appear, I read all about plugboards and tried one out for series'. I don't want my titles to be changed to include the series names and numbers though. I just want them to be in order as they are now. I think the answer is that this can't be done and that's fine...just checking. I'd rather have the titles be JUST the titles than have them in order (since I can at least see the book number now).
The answer is yes and no.

The no part of the answer is that Kobo does not have a sort option on the device that will sort by series. It is a very popular request, and Kobo have said they will look at it, but so far, they haven't done anything.

The yes part is that there is a cheat. If you uses the series column as a shelf column, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to sort these shelves. The cheat part of this is that the shelves have "By Added" sort order. By changing the timestamp the books were added to the shelf, the plugin can put the books into series order on that shelf. It isn't the best way, but it works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
acgref

Ok, I'll look into that. Thank you so much for you help!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
guigui
guigui began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The answer is yes and no.

The no part of the answer is that Kobo does not have a sort option on the device that will sort by series. It is a very popular request, and Kobo have said they will look at it, but so far, they haven't done anything.

The yes part is that there is a cheat. If you uses the series column as a shelf column, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to sort these shelves. The cheat part of this is that the shelves have "By Added" sort order. By changing the timestamp the books were added to the shelf, the plugin can put the books into series order on that shelf. It isn't the best way, but it works.
Your answer helped me too for the same issue. Thanks. But how do you "change the timestamps the books were added to the shelf" please ?

EDIT : I read and reproduced your explanations about Order Series Shelves on your help page. But the books are still not ordered in the series shelves on my device (aura HD).

I set series is Calibre though.

I guess I have to change the timestamps the books were added to the shelf". But how ?
EDIT : I changed the date in each book metadata of a series. But it didn"t change anything. Whas that useful ?

EDIT : ok the order series feature is broken in the 3.3.0 Kobo Firmware.

Last edited by guigui; 05-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.
guigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I *think* there is an issue with that feature and current (3.3.0) f/w versions not working correctly. For the time being you are SOL.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote