Notices

Old 12-18-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
w00dent0p
Connoisseur
w00dent0p began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Series not showing on Kobo Libra 2

Hi,

Transferring EPUBs to a Kobo Libra 2 and am seeing consistent behaviour ... always on the 1st attempt at transferring books, the 'Series' field doesn't seem to get passed across. But if I upload a 2nd time, it always works.

The 1st attempt at the transfer seems fine, just that the 'Series' is missing from every book.

I'm using the KoboTouchExtended (3.5.4) plug-in, and the kobo.epub format.

Anyone else seen this? Thanks.
w00dent0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The series info is not sent on the initial connection. It's a chicken and egg issue.

The calibre driver has to update the database on the Kobo to add in the series info, but when a book is transferred (ie the initial connection) the required row is not yet in the database.

The row is only added when, after the Kobo is disconnected, the Kobo processes the new book.

When the Kobo is reconnected to calibre the driver can now update the database on the Kobo with the series info

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
w00dent0p
Connoisseur

Peter, thank you, that explains it perfectly.

So should I just continue to upload each EPUB twice, or is there a more efficient means of uploading just the series info (and other metadata that's missed on the initial connection)?
Old 12-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
w00dent0p
Connoisseur

I should have added, is there some way to bypass the step of disconnecting and re-connecting the Kobo between the two steps?
Old 12-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You don't upload the books twice. You just update metadate (Koboutilities can do it).

The Kobo ereader has to detect the added book when you send it. That only happens when you Eject.
Then when you reconnect the series or other metadata only in the reader's database rather than in a book can be updated by Calibre.

It can't be done AT ALL on modern Kindles, nor Collections.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually it's not the utilities plugin; as long as metadata management is set to automatic, the driver itself will update the series info when the device is reconnected; no need to send the book a second time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dent0p View Post
Peter, thank you, that explains it perfectly.

So should I just continue to upload each EPUB twice, or is there a more efficient means of uploading just the series info (and other metadata that's missed on the initial connection)?
You only have to connect. The rest happens automagically. Watch the Jobs counter in the lower corner. When it STAYS at 0, you can Eject
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:08 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I should have added, is there some way to bypass the step of disconnecting and re-connecting the Kobo between the two steps?
You will need to do the disconnect/connect but if you are using NickelMenu, you can add an menu entry for the USB connect popup so you will not have to pull the physical plug.

If you set metadata entry to automatic (Preferences + Sending Books to devices and check Metadata management is set to Automatic Management), you should not need to send the book again. In fact, if I recall correctly, if you get series metadata after resending the book, you would need to have Do not treat replacements as new books checked on the Collections, covers and uploads tab of the Kobo Touch/Kobo Touch Extended driver.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:49 AM   #9
w00dent0p
Connoisseur

Thanks all. I've now changed Calibre metadata management to automatic.

In the settings for the KoboTouchExtended plug-in, there's also an option to 'Update metadata on Book Details pages'. Should I enable that as well?

I'm not clear how these two settings interact.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks all. I've now changed Calibre metadata management to automatic.

In the settings for the KoboTouchExtended plug-in, there's also an option to 'Update metadata on Book Details pages'. Should I enable that as well?

I'm not clear how these two settings interact.
It means more metadata is updated on the device when you connect it. The device doesn't read all the metadata from the books when they are imported. When the device started showing series info, I added that as an option. Much later, I added updating other metadata. With the above option set, the driver will check the metadata in the database on the device and update it if there are changes in your calibre library. That will be for any of the metadata items displayed on the device including the title, author, series info and comments/synopsis.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
w00dent0p
Connoisseur

Can't think of a reason why out-of-date metadata would ever be good, so I've turned that on too. Thank you sir.