Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
angharad09
Enthusiast
angharad09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this feature do-able in small/DIY projects?

You know how in a commercially produced ebook (from Amazon, at least -- not sure if Nook/Kobo/etc. do the same), when you copy/paste some text, it pastes not only the text you copied but also a complete source citation to the book you're copying from?

I'm curious whether that feature is reproducible in a small, low-budget, DIY project. I'm guessing the answer might be "no" (since I haven't found any mention of it in discussions focused on indie writers/producers), but I thought it was worth asking. If it is available, I'm sure someone here will have heard of it. On the other hand, if someone can rule it out (e.g. because it requires highly advanced skills or expensive tech), that would be useful to know, too.

I'm sure we could debate the pros and cons of this feature till the cows come home, but I'm just interested in knowing if it's do-able and what it would take.

Thanks!
angharad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I don't think this depends on whether the ebook is "commercially produced" or not. It depends on the software you are using to view/copy/paste.

For example, the Reading app I use on iOS, Marvin, allows you to "Copy+" or "Textshot".
Copy+ copies the highlighted section and allows you to add placeholders to the command line. You could add things like: title, author, chapter, definitions etc. Then you can paste all that info into another app.
Textshot creates a quote of the selected text + title, author, chapter info in the form of an image which can be pasted into another app.

Since Marvin is able to do this, then the answer to your question is "yes, it is possible". The real question is does the software/device you are using support that functionality.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And in general the worst is the Nook followed by Amazon's eink Kindle.
The Sony PRS350 needs a windows program.
The Kobo eink can have an extra menu item enabled in the config file. Then you can export a text file per book. The Kindle puts it all in myclippings.txt.

Best on eink is the Kobo Utilities on Calibre. It's per book and you get the selected source, the location chapter name and book % and the note, if there is one.

What you mention is nothing to do with a book on a real ereader. It's the application on a phone, tablet, Mac or PC doing it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote