Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
getting useless URLLINK when I try to download ebooks

I no longer have a kobo device, but I still like to buy books there. But something weird is going on, and they haven't been able to find the problem.

When I try downloading any of my kobo epubs onto my computer, instead of the .acsm link that will open the book in ADE, I get a "urllink" document, that can't be used to open the book. Clicking it brings up a small file of book related data.

It may be something odd about my computer, since I also had this issue with trying to download from Open Library. However, I can still download epubs from Overdrive with no problems.

Familiar to anyone?
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
The Kobo website was behaving strangely on July 18 and July 19, 2022. Many links were broken and pointing to non-existent URLs, as if it assumed I was accessing their website using the Kobo app.

I suggest clearing the browser cache and logging in again to attempt a download.

I checked the Kobo US website and it is functioning normally again. Purchased EPUBs are available as .acsm files for opening with Adobe Digital Editions.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
willaful
Connoisseur

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Do you think there's any point in clearing anything else?
Old 07-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Have you tried manually opening the file with the adobe digital editions executable?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Are you sure it's not urllink.acsm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Do you think there's any point in clearing anything else?
Do you have a second browser on your system? Testing with one is usually my next troubleshooting step after clearing the cache.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:20 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to agree with @ownedbycats. When you download a DRMmed epub, Kobo sends you an urllink.acsm file. If you are using Windows, do you have show extensions for known file types enabled? You can try to open it with Adobe Digital Editions or using the DeACSM plugin for calibre.

When you open the file in a text editor, does it look somewhat like the text in the code box below?

Code:
<fulfillmentToken fulfillmentType="buy" auth="user" xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/adept">
  <distributor>urn:uuid:<content deleted></distributor>
  <operatorURL><content deleted></operatorURL>
  <transaction><content deleted></transaction>
  <purchase><content deleted></purchase>
  <expiration><content deleted></expiration>
  <resourceItemInfo>
    <resource>urn:uuid:<content deleted></resource>
    <resourceItem>0</resourceItem>
    <metadata>
      <dc:title xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">The Way of Coyote: Shared Journeys in the Urban Wilds</dc:title>
      <dc:creator xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">Gavin Van Horn</dc:creator>
      <dc:publisher xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">University of Chicago Press</dc:publisher>
      <dc:identifier xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">web:9780226441610</dc:identifier>
      <dc:format xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">application/epub+zip</dc:format>
      <dc:language xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">en-US</dc:language>
      <thumbnailURL>https://www.bibliovault.org/thumbs/978-0-226-44158-0-thumb.jpg</thumbnailURL>
    </metadata>
    <licenseToken>
      <resource>urn:uuid:<content deleted></resource>
      <permissions>
        <display/>
        <excerpt/>
        <print/>
        <play/>
      </permissions>
    </licenseToken>
  </resourceItemInfo>
  <hmac><content deleted></hmac>
</fulfillmentToken>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:44 PM   #7
willaful
Connoisseur

geek101 -- yes I have. ADE doesn't recognize the files as something it can open.

DNSB -- Yes, that's the kind of file I'm getting. It opens in TextEdit. It's very distinct from an .acsm file. Let me see if I can upload a screenshot. It should show a standard library .acsm file, surrounded by the kobo files.

I have tried in a different browser, which was kobo's only suggestion so far.

I'm using a Mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.16.49 PM.png
Views:	124
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	195156  
Old 07-20-2022, 12:46 AM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Rename the file from URLLink to URLLink.acsm and it should work. It works for me.

edit: I am on Linux and I use DeACSM plugin, I don't know if it is different but I also receive a URLLink without extension, and giving it its corrected extension makes it work.

Last edited by ps67; 07-20-2022 at 12:58 AM. Reason: I am on Linux and I use DeACSM...
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:46 AM   #9
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Rename the file from URLLink to URLLink.acsm and it should work. It works for me.

edit: I am on Linux and I use DeACSM plugin, I don't know if it is different but I also receive a URLLink without extension, and giving it its corrected extension makes it work.
Well fan me with a blowtorch. That worked! Thank you!
Old 07-20-2022, 03:34 AM   #10
willaful
Connoisseur

Does anyone know what might be the correct file name for a pdf? The Open Library book I couldn't open is a pdf and this method isn't working for it.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
Does anyone know what might be the correct file name for a pdf? The Open Library book I couldn't open is a pdf and this method isn't working for it.
The .acsm file format is the same for .epub or .pdf files. Note that the expiration line shows the date after which the .acsm file will no longer be valid.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I've seen that error from time to time when accessing the Kobo Canada store on Windows under the Google Chrome browser. When it fails there, it's always worked for me under Mozilla Firefox, though.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #13
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The .acsm file format is the same for .epub or .pdf files. Note that the expiration line shows the date after which the .acsm file will no longer be valid.
I guess it's a different problem. (I've tried redownloading it and changing the file name.) Will try returning and borrowing it again.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #14
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I've seen that error from time to time when accessing the Kobo Canada store on Windows under the Google Chrome browser. When it fails there, it's always worked for me under Mozilla Firefox, though.
Firefox is what I normally use for Kobo so...
Old 07-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #15
willaful
Connoisseur

Returning, reborrowing, and renaming the file worked, huzzah.

I wish I could figure out the problem. At least my Overdrive borrows are still working normally. *knocks wood*

Tags
downloading, ebooks download, kobo