Notices

Old 10-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Moving books from device to device?

Hi to All,
I bought an ebook on a site which I don't usually use and downloaded it to one of my Kobos. I intended to then move it to another Kobo which I prefer. To do this I tried to copy the book from my Kobo into Calibre with the intention of then copying it into the other Kobo which has a different account.

When I tried to copy the book from the Kobo to Calibre it would not copy and I got a message telling me that the book was "virtual" and could not be copied. I don't understand why the book is called "virtual" as I can read it on the Kobo with the appropriate account. However, when I open the Kobo on my computer the new book is not visible on the list of books on the Kobo (other books from my other account are visible). It appears in the Kepub list with a code number and not with its real title.

Is it not possible to copy the book to my other Kobo which has a different account?

I hope this is clear...
Thanks for any advice!
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Avoid direct to device purchases.
Virtual is because those get placed in places (hidden-protected) to prevent just what you tried to do.
Why not have the store send it to your other Kobo? (or is it registered to a different account?)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:13 AM   #3
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you for this reply, theducks. The book was hard to find in ebook format and so i was glad to get it from the store which i have not used before. i can only read the book on the one Kobo with the specific account of that store.

Of course I could set up that account on my larger Kobo as I imagine I could then download the book again on that Kobo but it would mean a lot of hassle and with some risk of losing the settings on my preferred Kobo. It's not worth it.

Your advice about not using this type of shop is very wise and I doubt that I would do it again.

I imagine that the impossibility of copying the book from the Kobo to Calibre is linked to Drem rights which I do not understand very well.

Should anyone have any other suggestions for this, I would be very grateful.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What store is this and what eBook and eBook format?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
Rojofo
Zealot

The bookstore is Booktopia and the book is a novel dating from the 1940s and which, I suppose, is no longer copyright.
The format is supposedly epub and it is readable on my Kobo (the one with the Booktopia account) but this book does not appear on my computer or on the Kobo with the ".epub" format but a long string of letters and numbers without ".epub" at the end. I suppose this is some kind of encryption.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Those file names are common for kepubs synced from Kobo. You might want to check the Obok plugin for calibre.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you very much, DNSB. You have solved my problem! I thought I had these extensions installed but I see that I didn't. Having installed them, everything works as it should and I now have the novel on my other KObo!

Tags
kobo