Calibre 6.13
Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation

Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
Cinnamon 5.6.6 Desktop
Intel© Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz × 6
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
Mother board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-P Rev X.0x

Hello,

All of my "send to device" destinations are greyed out when I right click on a book in Calibre.

I do not have a "Send To Device" button on my toolbar at the top of Calibre.

In

Preferences > Interface > Toolbars & Menus > The Main Toolbar When The Device Is Connected

I have the "send to device" and "location manager" buttons listed in the right side column under current actions.

Linux automounts my Kindle just fine. I see the contents in the "documents" folder. When I attempt to copy an ebook ( confirmed non-drm ) I get told that the device is read only by my OS.

I would appreciate any clues for getting a "Send To Device" button to be appear and be active.

Thanks much for any help.
tinker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check Preferences:ignored devices (will be missing if none. OK) and remove the wrong entry if it snuck in
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
tinker123
tinker123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Check Preferences:ignored devices (will be missing if none. OK) and remove the wrong entry if it snuck in
I could not find such an option:

https://i.paste.pics/87613a7f18d446a...90b6e17499.png

https://i.paste.pics/06d945b2990f67e...29be92d8a0.png
Old 02-28-2023, 10:42 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you don't have any devices ignored (it would be under the screen capture box if it was there) ✔ not Ignored

FWIW I have 4 entries as I do not read on my phones or Sansa clip
Old 02-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As @kovid (the author of calibre) says in this thread:
Quote:
Only one program can access an MTP device at a time on Linux. Prevent your desktop/file manager from automounting the device and it will be detected in calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But isn't the PaperWhite USB Mass Storage?
It should be visible in filemanager. If not try another port or cable.

For USB-MTP (All Android since about version 4?)
I stop, not End or Kill, the gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor before USB connection and continue it (both with Right Click Menu) after eject, because Caja on Mate desktop can't be prevented from automount. Some MTP USB devices can be unmounted and then Calibre can connect but others don't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2023-02-28 17-22-25.png
Views:	79
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	200014

Some desktops and/or filamanagers have a setting to never automount.

I've never had any problem with PW3, Basic, Oasis, KK3, DXG on Linux, or Nook ST, Sony PRS350, Sony T1, Kobo Touch, H2O, Libra, Sage, Elipsa, Nia, Libra 2 or Y-Ben P47L as those are all mass storage mode, not MTP.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-28-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #7
tinker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As @kovid (the author of calibre) says in this thread:
OP here.

The only other device I have plugged into my computer besides the Kindle is a USB hard drive. You can see both in this screen shot:

https://i.paste.pics/a3e327183a9f055...69e42cffdf.png
Old 02-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker123 View Post
OP here.

The only other device I have plugged into my computer besides the Kindle is a USB hard drive. You can see both in this screen shot:

https://i.paste.pics/a3e327183a9f055...69e42cffdf.png
Other devices being plugged in have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Linux automounts my Kindle just fine. I see the contents in the "documents" folder. When I attempt to copy an ebook ( confirmed non-drm ) I get told that the device is read only by my OS.
To repeat: @kovid says
Quote:
Only one program can access an MTP device at a time on Linux. Prevent your desktop/file manager from automounting the device and it will be detected in calibre.
The problem is that your system is automounting the kindle, thereby ensuring that calibre can't read it.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:05 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Other devices being plugged in have nothing to do with it.
Always true.

Quote:

The problem is that your system is automounting the kindle, thereby ensuring that calibre can't read it.
Unless it's a Fire, that's not true. The eInk Kindles use Mass Storage mode.
A PW3 can be connected & work with Calibre and be in a filemanager window at the same time, because no eInk kindle I've ever seen uses MTP.

I just checked on Linux Mint, Mate desktop, Caja filemanager and Calibre. The Paperwhite is fine to read or write on either. It's NOT an MTP device.

Certainly a Fire Tablet or any Android device since Version 4 is MTP.

So something else is "broken"
Quote:
Calibre 6.13
Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation

Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
Cinnamon 5.6.6 Desktop

Last edited by Quoth; 02-28-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #10
tinker123

Quote:
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, an eReader, an ink device. Is it an MTP device?

I found some directions for turning automounting in nemo ( the file manager ) off.

nemo -> edit > preferences > behavior > media handline.

1. I unchecked the automounting options and closed nemo.

2. I then plugged in the Paperwhite, no kindle icon appeared on my desktop

3. I booted up Calibre, still no "send to device" button or options.

Calibre gave me this error message:

Quote:
calibre, version 6.13.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/steve/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 159, in get_device_information
File "calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 131, in _update_driveinfo_file
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/steve/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 516, in _get_device_information
File "calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 170, in get_device_information
File "calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 149, in raise_os_error
OSError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/steve/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Last edited by tinker123; 02-28-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It would seem the problem is that calibre is not able to write to your Kindle's internal storage (the Read-only file system error). You might want to try using fsck.vfat to fix any errors on the partition.

Have you tried using a different USB cable? Or factory resetting your Kindle? Not sure where to find the reset on a Paperwhite 7th gen (on a PW 10th gen, it's under Settings => Device Options => Reset. Please note that this will require you to re-setup your Kindle.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, an eReader, an ink device. Is it an MTP device?
No, as both Quoth and DNSB have said. My apologies for the wrong hints, and thanks to Quoth and DNSB for the correct info.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #13
tinker123

I did a factory reset.

I didn't get a "Send To Device" button, but I got that as a context option when right clicking on the book from Calibre.

It copied over the book.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by tinker123; 02-28-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:05 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Good to hear that you are back in business.

To get Send to device on the toolbar, you'd have to go into calibre's preferences => Toolbars and menus. Select the main toolbar with device connected. Browse down the left column to Send to device, highlight it and click the arrow pointing right to add it to the toolbar.

Personally, I prefer to save the toolbar space and just right click for the send to device option.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Send to Device is part of the Location Manager.
The rest of your instructions are