Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
imnnrv
imnnrv began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to disable transliteration?

Is there any way to disable transliteration for export to device?
"Convert non-English characters to English equivalents" is only for save to disk.
Ugly transliteration makes folder/file structure absolutely unusable. And yes, I know that metadata are correct, but it doesn't help to navigate in file structure.
imnnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isnt. Lots of devices have major issues with non-ascii filenames.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:40 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
@imnnrv
What app or ereader are you using for the ebooks?
Try using one that navigates by metadata, not files.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #4
imnnrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, there isnt. Lots of devices have major issues with non-ascii filenames.
Why not make it optional? For example, via tweaks. It will be nice of you.
I know about non-ascii problem with some devices, but even my Sony PRS-505 in 2007 didn’t have this problem.
For now, I have 812 English books, 701 Russian, 34 Turkish and some (less than 10) in other languages. Transliteration is unusable for me, and I suppose for other users with non-Latin alphabets. Every time I must "save to disk" on my PC, then connect device and overwrite everything. And I cannot just add new books because structure could have been changed between “syncs”. It's a really long process (40 minutes+ on Kobo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
@imnnrv
What app or ereader are you using for the ebooks?
Try using one that navigates by metadata, not files.
Moon+ Reader Pro on modern android devices, AlreaderX on android e-ink device and KOReader on Kobo (it's not only me, but also family members). For now, I have 3 classes of books (Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Languages learning) and hierarchical categories system in each of them, so I don't know how metadata will save me on mobile devices.
Perhaps metadata would be enough for fiction (even for fiction, series and multiple authors are pain) but for non-fiction, filesystem is the only way
Old 09-10-2023, 10:48 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnnrv View Post
Why not make it optional? For example, via tweaks. It will be nice of you.
I know about non-ascii problem with some devices, but even my Sony PRS-505 in 2007 didn’t have this problem.
For now, I have 812 English books, 701 Russian, 34 Turkish and some (less than 10) in other languages. Transliteration is unusable for me, and I suppose for other users with non-Latin alphabets. Every time I must "save to disk" on my PC, then connect device and overwrite everything. And I cannot just add new books because structure could have been changed between “syncs”. It's a really long process (40 minutes+ on Kobo).

Moon+ Reader Pro on modern android devices, AlreaderX on android e-ink device and KOReader on Kobo (it's not only me, but also family members). For now, I have 3 classes of books (Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Languages learning) and hierarchical categories system in each of them, so I don't know how metadata will save me on mobile devices.
Perhaps metadata would be enough for fiction (even for fiction, series and multiple authors are pain) but for non-fiction, filesystem is the only way
Sorry but I have over 2000 non-fiction ebubs. They handle as well as fiction using search and metadata. Yes, it is a different paradigm from sticking with files/directories as if the year 2000 was still a couple of decades in the future but once I started using search/sort, I could not go back to a directory tree which is just too limiting.

As for transliteration, that only applies to the file names. The metadata can carry a full unicode book title, series, etc. which are visible on my Kobo using Nickel.

On Android, you could use the PocketBook renderer. Does a much better job of rendering than Moon+ reader even if you dig into the menu to allow Moon+ to stop disregarding the ebook's CSS.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
imnnrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but I have over 2000 non-fiction ebubs. They handle as well as fiction using search and metadata. Yes, it is a different paradigm from sticking with files/directories as if the year 2000 was still a couple of decades in the future but once I started using search/sort, I could not go back to a directory tree which is just too limiting.
It was about languages ratios, not about amount of books
Search/sort is good if it is very good search, like in desktop Calibre. Or if you remember all names of authors and books. Mobile readers let you search by one parameter (Tried again with Moon+ and Calibre Premium right now). I didn't find the way to search using combined tags or attributes like I do in Calibre (for example, tags:"=Middle Age" & #cat:"=History.Britain" & #class:"=NonFiction"). Right now, tried again with Moon+ and Calibre Premium – all the same.
And even if I find the reader with good search, I'm not sure I can teach my parents (70+) to use it.

Quote:
As for transliteration, that only applies to the file names. The metadata can carry a full unicode book title, series, etc. which are visible on my Kobo using Nickel.
I suppose, English is your native language. Nickel is terrible if your language is not officially supported. If you need multiple dictionaries and search in different languages you need patches, and then repatch it after every update. Koreader is the only good solution I could find.
Is there a stable way of series, categories, subcategories sync Calibre with Kobo? Last time I tried, Kobo needed some crazy rituals with reconnects and with manual creation/deletion of series (It was more than year ago, so I can be mistaken).

Quote:
On Android, you could use the PocketBook renderer. Does a much better job of rendering than Moon+ reader even if you dig into the menu to allow Moon+ to stop disregarding the ebook's CSS.
That is an additional reason why I want filesystem: I don't want to care about reader app. File structure is the same on all my devices.
Thank you for your recommendation, will try PocketBook again. First versions were not good, but it was long time ago.
P.S. And besides EPUB I have PDF and DjVu (and going to add CBR, after polishing my collection). Yes, it’s just 10% of my collection, but anyway.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:02 PM   #7
imnnrv

*Calibre Premium = FBReader Premium
Old 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You really are a glutton for punishment. I agree that you really should be using better apps such as Pocketbook Reader or BookFuion or Lithium. There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind that actually work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:45 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
*Calibre Premium = FBReader Premium
That is just so wrong. FBReader is garbage at best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:10 PM   #10
imnnrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really are a glutton for punishment. I agree that you really should be using better apps such as Pocketbook Reader or BookFuion or Lithium. There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind that actually work.
Thank you for advice! Will try them.

But anyway, all listed apps are only for epubs and only for android. Still have kobo and old android devices (4.2.2). So normal filesystem is still needed
Old 09-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #11
imnnrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BookFusion - some commercial service and book shop. Should I really register and try it? Will it help me with searching in my local collection?

PocketBook and Lithium - still show me the same plain structure with search by author or book name. Pocket book can search 1 tag at a time and all the time suggests searching in their store. Lithium doesn't search for tags at all. Both don't even search series. This is without mentioning the minimal customization options...
Why do you think they are better than Moon+ or FBReader when it comes to search? Both aren't even searching for a series. What should I do to find the book if I don't remember its exact name or series? Is there any way to visualize my library (for example, show full list of my categories and series) using these apps (as I can do with Calibre or file structure)?