Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The Chinese may be sitting on the Android 11 EInk drivers
Really?
conquerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerli View Post
Really?
The latest 10.3 inch Mobius devices are from Boox with Android 10.
Previously there were different manufacturers with Android 8.1
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I see that the price of InkPad Color 2 has dropped to $295 (USD) on Amazon. InkPad 4 is now $255. The former has 32GB storage with 1.8 GHz quad-core, vs 16GB with 1.0 GHz dual-core for the latter.

I'm guessing that for B&W content, IP4 is going to look better (Carta and no additional color layer), and despite the slower processor, might have faster page turns. But I have not found any side by side reviews comparing them.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: I do not currently have any 8" eInk device and I think it is perhaps the ideal size (I use my iPad mini for reading a lot). It might be fun to have the color one, even if color is not as vibrant.

I was concerned that I might not have color content to put on it, as nearly all of my content is from Amazon and I use the AZW3 download method for a Kindle, but I checked a few of them and they do have color images.

I'm in no rush to get one, but would welcome thoughts.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-26-2023 at 03:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #19
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are reviews of both at allesebook.de - the colour device’s faster cpu is noticeable, as is (unfortunately) a kind of glitter on the Kaleido screen.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 06:32 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
There are reviews of both at allesebook.de - the colour device’s faster cpu is noticeable, as is (unfortunately) a kind of glitter on the Kaleido screen.
Thanks, that is very helpful.

I do not think the 'glitter' would bother me. It appears this is the only thing that in his opinion makes it 'worse' for black and white content when compared to InkPad 4, as it is in the context of the discussion of glitter only.

Reviews (professional and customer) are not numerous, but this is the only mention of the phenomenon I have found.

It would not surprise me if Amazon joins the club later this year with a Kaleido 3 screen. Even so, it wouldn't automatically win out over this, as I would like to 'diversify' my portfolio of reading devices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:40 AM   #21
conquerli
conquerli began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad Color PB742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The Chinese may be sitting on the Android 11 EInk drivers
Why not?
Old 11-07-2023, 12:54 AM   #22
conquerli

No support page for this device, no new firmware ...
Old 11-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #23
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
If you are thinking about PocketBook with Android - it's still under development. There was even no preproduction device on Book Fairs in Frankfurt and Kraków.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:56 AM   #24
conquerli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
If you are thinking about PocketBook with Android - it's still under development. There was even no preproduction device on Book Fairs in Frankfurt and Kraków.
My Ebook is PB742 with Android OS. But lack of support service. I can't access the support web page, can't get new firmware,and no manual.