Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 09:34 AM   #16
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Here it it is another screenshot.

When word spacing is large in KOReader, the spacing between words in both is almost identical.

It is just a grab of the screen in each program and then a conversion with convert to blend the images.

Click image for larger version

Name:	result.png
Views:	129
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	207822

Last edited by jospalau; 04-25-2024 at 02:29 PM.
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:35 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
Here it it is another screenshot.

When word spacing is large in KOReader, the spacing between words in both is almost identical.

It is just a grab of the screen in each program and then a conversion with convert to blend the images.

Attachment 207822
You should compare ePub to KoReader for the word spacing. KePub has rather large word spacing by default.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 03:38 PM   #18
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should compare ePub to KoReader for the word spacing. KePub has rather large word spacing by default.
It is an ePub. The spacing it is similar and you can see in some words that kerning it is better in KOReader.

Clara 2E, Amasis font and the ePub doesn't specify line-height
Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk

Last edited by jospalau; 04-25-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:18 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is an ePub. The spacing it is similar and you can see in some words that kerning it is better in KOReader.

Clara 2E, Amasis font and the ePub doesn't specify line-height
Are you sure it's ePub and not KePub?
Old 04-28-2024, 10:00 AM   #20
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Are you sure it's ePub and not KePub?
Yes. It is a recent book converted with Calibre to epub. I send the books to my devices with Rsync.

I set margins and everything to be as close as possible. KOReader word spacing needs to be large so they are almost identical.

Advert
Old 04-28-2024, 10:27 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes. It is a recent book converted with Calibre to epub. I send the books to my devices with Rsync.

I set margins and everything to be as close as possible. KOReader word spacing needs to be large so they are almost identical.
Why does KOREader word spacing need to be large?
Old 04-28-2024, 02:08 PM   #22
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Why does KOREader word spacing need to be large?
You can tweak everything in KOReader. With word spacing as large (you see this is the bottom pane) is how both programs render the text nearly the same way. If you set for instance word spacing medium which I think is by default, spaces between words are smaller and KOReader can fit more words per page.

What it is interesting is seeing how the kerning is better in KOReader. For instance, gra_duation, but it is just a simple test.

Last edited by jospalau; 04-28-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can tweak everything in KOReader. With word spacing as large (you see this is the bottom pane) is how both programs render the text nearly the same way. If you set for instance word spacing medium which I think is by default, spaces between words are smaller and KOReader can fit more words per page.

What it is interesting is seeing how the kerning is better in KOReader. For instance, gra_duation, but it is just a simple test.
Kerning should not be any better in either program. Kerning either works or it doesn't.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:47 AM   #24
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Kerning should not be any better in either program. Kerning either works or it doesn't.
But KOReader has several kerning options you can apply and with HarfBuzz and according to the image I posted, it renders better (for this only example with this specific font...), so not all the programs render the same.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:05 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's been posted that KOReader does not yet work on the Clara BW. So if you buy a Calara BW, you'll have to go ePub and/or KePub.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:23 PM   #26
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
It's been posted that KOReader does not yet work on the Clara BW. So if you buy a Calara BW, you'll have to go ePub and/or KePub.
It comes out tomorrow . Leave the guys put their hands on it and you will see.

This is my solution so Nickel can't mess up my devices:
[FeatureSettings]

ExcludeSyncFolders=.*

Old 04-30-2024, 06:31 AM   #27
jospalau
Groupie

You can see another example with your favourite font. It took me more time to select the font and set the font size in the stock reader than to do all the rest...

Kerning still worse, you see the first two sentences Hav e and m y wi fe. See the word leaving in the third line.

And also KOReader fits more words per line. That's why after the first paragraphs the text is not the same in both screenshots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	result.png
Views:	48
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	207932
Old 04-30-2024, 10:02 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can see another example with your favourite font. It took me more time to select the font and set the font size in the stock reader than to do all the rest...

Kerning still worse, you see the first two sentences Hav e and m y wi fe. See the word leaving in the third line.

And also KOReader fits more words per line. That's why after the first paragraphs the text is not the same in both screenshots.

Attachment 207932
What makes no sense is the word emotionally. In the red text, the kerning looks good. In the black text, the kerning look not so good as ly is not as close as the red text.

I'm using the same font and I've just had a look at the word really in the book I am reading. The ly looks the same as it does in red in your sample. I know for sure I am reading ePub and not KePub.

Are you sue you are not using KePub?
Old 04-30-2024, 12:04 PM   #29
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
What makes no sense is the word emotionally. In the red text, the kerning looks good. In the black text, the kerning look not so good as ly is not as close as the red text.

I'm using the same font and I've just had a look at the word really in the book I am reading. The ly looks the same as it does in red in your sample. I know for sure I am reading ePub and not KePub.

Are you sue you are not using KePub?
100% sure. I never used KePub and I don't transfer the books from Calibre directly. I sync them manually via Rsync.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:32 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
100% sure. I never used KePub and I don't transfer the books from Calibre directly. I sync them manually via Rsync.

Can you please try one of the ePub from the MR library and see how words with ly look with CareInk6SP? Thanks.