Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
AsterixKobo
AsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Clara HD
What s the best way to restore shelves (collection)

Hello,

I have all my books on calibre correctly tagged (mostly by centuries of the fiction)

I use custom column to handle the shelves on the KOBO (as describe on this forum )

I just noticed that on the kobo device it s a big mess.... some books appear on some collection where they should not be. Collection are missing... I do not have any backup in order to restore the db file. I did not changed the version of the firmware neither change calibre version. I just transfer some books from time to time.

OK now the mess is done but how to repair it: What is the best way to put back correctly all my shelves in a good order ? Do I have to transfer all books from calibre again or is there any more simple solution ?

Many thanks for the advice

Cheers
AsterixKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As long as metadata management is set to automatic on each and every connection of your Kobo to calibre collections will be refreshed.

Out of curiosity, do you have both the calibre supplied Kobo touch driver and the Kobo touch extended driver installed, and if so are they both enabled? If so, I personally would suggest disabling in calibre preferences one of them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #3
AsterixKobo
AsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavensAsterixKobo is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As long as metadata management is set to automatic on each and every connection of your Kobo to calibre collections will be refreshed.
Maybe there is an option which I missed for the "automatic" management

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have both the calibre supplied Kobo touch driver and the Kobo touch extended driver installed, and if so are they both enabled? If so, I personally would suggest disabling in calibre preferences one of them.
I have only one driver which is the Kobo touch. I do not have the extended installed.

thanks for your answer
Old 09-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterixKobo View Post
Maybe there is an option which I missed for the "automatic" management

I have only one driver which is the Kobo touch. I do not have the extended installed.
The driver needs to be configured to do collection management. And one other option in the preferences is needed for this to happen automatically. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections is a guide to how to configure the driver. Check what you have and set the columns in the driver to those you want collections from. Then connect the device. If it is configured correctly, the collections should be updated for all the books that are in the library.

And if that doesn't work, come back and we'll help to work out what is wrong. Or answer any questions that you need cleared up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
AsterixKobo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The driver needs to be configured to do collection management. And one other option in the preferences is needed for this to happen automatically. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections is a guide to how to configure the driver. Check what you have and set the columns in the driver to those you want collections from. Then connect the device. If it is configured correctly, the collections should be updated for all the books that are in the library.

And if that doesn't work, come back and we'll help to work out what is wrong. Or answer any questions that you need cleared up.
Thanks davidfor I think Ive got it :
this option was missing
Preferences | Import/Export | Sending books to devices
The Metadata management selection has three options
=====> Automatic management

That s just for my understanding ;-) :
I had done exactly what was describe in the WIKI for the custom columns.

Nowadays my custom column is exactly the same as the tag one and of course that s the one I am synchronising with my device for the collection.
That s means in the preferences of the KOBO diver configuration "in collection management" options "Collection columns field", the name is my "Custom column" (with the #)

In my case because the tags = my custom column is it necessary to have this "custom column" ? or can I simply put "tags" instead of the name of my custom column in the KOBO diver configuration options "Collection columns field" ?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What you put into the "Collection columns" field is a comma separated list of the lookup names of the columns. This is shown in the list of columns on the "Add your own columns" page of the preferences. Or in the tooltip if you put the cursor over the heading of any column in the library list. For custom columns, it always starts with a "#". If you just want to use the tags, the just put "tags" in the field (without the quotes). The "#myshelves, series" is just an example of what can be done.

I use "#kobobookshelves,#status,#book_source". In reverse order, those are columns for where the book came from (Kobo, Amazon, etc), the reading status (Finished, Reading, To Read and several other things) and a column for other collections that I might want to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
AsterixKobo

[SOLVED] What s the best way to restore shelves (collection)

all right ! thanks for the useful information

Cheers
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterixKobo View Post
In my case because the tags = my custom column is it necessary to have this "custom column" ? or can I simply put "tags" instead of the name of my custom column in the KOBO diver configuration options "Collection columns field" ?
I used the Tags column for collections that are not series based and it works perfectly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote