Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
rsync

ive noticed a few people wanted this, so compiled it

this is version 3.0, pre8 so very new

i use it as a daemon on iLiad
create an empty rsyncd.conf in /etc
cp rsync to /usr/bin

run with rsync --daemon

if you want to use it as a client you will need to have either ssh or rsh on iliad
(oh, i think as a daemon its probably going to need dropbear sshd installed and running?!)

enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: gz rsync.gz (339.1 KB, 480 views)
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Background: I recently lost some scribbles (ipdf failed on me). Fortunately I had most of it backed-up, but not all. It occurred to me that it is not easy to backup content on the iliad if you are away from your PC for a long time, so it is possible to write a load of scribbles during a day and then lose them before you can back up (I guess that's one advantage of the image-based notes---they create merged images on-the-fly).

The attached is a script (and manifest file) that uses thetechnobear's rsync to backup the contents of /mnt/free to a usb key. Simply changing /mnt/usb/backup to /mnt/cf/backup would use the compact flash. I have decided to make it do incremental backups, giving each most recent previous backup a suffix of the date and time of the current backup. The first time you run it you have enough time to make coffee because it backs everything up, but after that it seems to be fairly quick. The contentlister entry is updated with the last date and time the backup is run.

Note that this attachment is just the script. You'll have to copy rsync to /usr/bin as instructed by thetechnobear and possibly make it executable with
Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/rsync
for this to work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rsync-backup.zip (1.1 KB, 359 views)
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert