Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kindle Cloud Sync

Thread created from this original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetiq View Post
is there any tool to sync library with dropbox or any other cloud server? (KT with jb)
No such tool, already packaged for the Kindle, has been posted that I can recall.

BUT
It may be possible because:
  • Kindles run Linux
  • Linux has the davfs2 file system driver that supports WebDav
  • Most "Cloud" services also support WebDav access

Here is how to setup and mount a WebDav "Cloud" into your file system tree on a Linux desktop:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189470

Twobob and I have several private "Clouds" that we mount into our development machines.
I.E: A shared directory, even though we are 6 time zones apart.

We also **started** (but never finished) looking at porting the davfs2 file system to the very constrained memory resources of the Kindle (davfs2, as shipped, is a real memory hog).

That is one of our unfinished projects, way, way, way, way down on our to-do list (like in, maybe never).
So if someone else wants to take up the challenge . . . .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Why not use a cloud server that supports rsync? We are only talking about a bunch of ebooks. rsync is included in usbnet, a simple script could be launched from KUAL? I found this website with most/all? online backup servers: http://vivil.free.fr/backup.htm maybe find one? Just an idea...
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Also: fuse/sshfs & co... Lots of possibilities ;-)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If ONLY dropbox would FINALLY listen and compile a linux arm version of that darn dropbox daemon!!!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also: fuse/sshfs & co... Lots of possibilities ;-)
Dunno any cloud services that use sshfs. Not the most common thing to do.
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru

root@kindle:/mnt/us# ./sshfs
./sshfs: relocation error: ./sshfs: symbol fuse_opt_insert_arg, version FUSE_2.6 not defined in file libfuse.so.2 with link time reference

Straight from wheezy
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru

root@kindle:/mnt/us# ./sshfs
missing host
see `./sshfs -h' for usage

This ones from squeeze
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
aditya3098
Guru

But unfortunately:
Code:
root@kindle:/mnt/us/documents# ../sshfs aditya@192.168.1.2:/home/aditya/Desktop/test ./test
It just sits there, terminal freezes, no more ssh connections accepted.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
aditya3098
Guru

Static stuff!!!
http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/sshfs-fuse-2-4
Going to bed now
Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
you can also use this : Bittorrent sync

It's not cloud access but you can install it on every OS (so in servers too) and sync your files.
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@aditya3098: Might be it expects an ssh client to actually handle the potential user interaction, and that USBNet only installs dbclient (so the ssh command doesn't actually exists).

Haven't checked, just throwing ideas around . (I usually do this the other way around anyway: mount a part of the Kindle fs on a remote/local box).
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@aditya3098: Might be it expects an ssh client to actually handle the potential user interaction, and that USBNet only installs dbclient (so the ssh command doesn't actually exists).

Haven't checked, just throwing ideas around . (I usually do this the other way around anyway: mount a part of the Kindle fs on a remote/local box).
Yeah, but I made ssh a symlink to the dbclient binary.
Didn't I see an openssh build somewhere?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: I have one on hand (the server & sftp applet are in USBNet).

I'll check it out eventually... .
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Caps
Caps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
If ONLY dropbox would FINALLY listen and compile a linux arm version of that darn dropbox daemon!!!
just registered here to tell you that somebody is working on this lately ;-)
https://github.com/kholia/dedrop

The sourcecode has been opened

Link to the Presentation Video: https://www.usenix.org/looking-inside-drop-box

Last edited by Caps; 09-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps View Post
just registered here to tell you that somebody is working on this lately ;-)
https://github.com/kholia/dedrop

The sourcecode has been opened

Link to the Presentation Video: https://www.usenix.org/looking-inside-drop-box
That depends on what country a person lives in.
In the USA, that work is useless.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote