Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo
Stop Kobo from updating Reading Life, Awards and Dictionaries

Every time I buy a book from Kobo and sync the Kobo e-reader, Kobo would load the book and update Reading Life, Awards and Dictionaries.

Is it possible to stop Kobo from updating Reading Life, Awards and Dictionaries? I just want the book I bought and don't need the Reading Life, Awards and Dictionaries.
pentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Download > Sideload
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you buy the from the device's bookstore instead of from the website, then the book will download immediately after purchase without doing a full sync.

If you buy from the website, then you can search for the book you bought in the device's bookstore and download it without doing a full sync, but it is probably faster just to sync.

Edit: You can also do a full sync, but then tap the sync tile again to cancel the rest of the sync once the books you bought have downloaded.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-10-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Can also cancel sync
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
Download > Sideload
Is that from the Kobo device?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
pentel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If you buy the from the device's bookstore instead of from the website, then the book will download immediately after purchase without doing a full sync.

If you buy from the website, then you can search for the book you bought in the device's bookstore and download it without doing a full sync, but it is probably faster just to sync.

Edit: You can also do a full sync, but then tap the sync tile again to cancel the rest of the sync once the books you bought have downloaded.
I buy from the website. I bought one book and it took maybe 10 seconds to load the book. It took longer to update Reading Life and Awards. And much longer to update dictionaries. I don't want the update of Reading Life, Awards and Dictionaries because it takes so long to complete and it is taking up resources (disc space etc) in my Kobo Mini.

What is puzzling about Dictionaries is why does it need to update the Dictionary every time I load a book. Dictionary don't change that often, even if they do, I don't need the latest changes. The Dictionary update is bothersome because it takes the longest among the book download, Reading Life and Awards update.

Thanks for the tip about cancelling the sync after the book is downloaded. I didn't attempt that because I thought it might "crash" the device if I do that, something like switching off the computer during windows update.
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
What is puzzling about Dictionaries is why does it need to update the Dictionary every time I load a book. Dictionary don't change that often, even if they do, I don't need the latest changes. The Dictionary update is bothersome because it takes the longest among the book download, Reading Life and Awards update.
How many dictionaries do you have loaded? There are 19 dictionaries available, but you can remove the ones you don't need in Settings > Language > Dictionaries. I think the fewer dictionaries you have loaded the faster that part of the sync will be. Loading dictionaries only lakes a second or less when I sync, I only have the English and translation-to-English dictionaries loaded.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
pentel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
How many dictionaries do you have loaded? There are 19 dictionaries available, but you can remove the ones you don't need in Settings > Language > Dictionaries. I think the fewer dictionaries you have loaded the faster that part of the sync will be. Loading dictionaries only lakes a second or less when I sync, I only have the English and translation-to-English dictionaries loaded.
Thank you again for your help! I didn't know I could edit the dictionaries from the Settings. I have 6 installed dictionaries from factory default settings. I remove all of them except for one - English dictionary. That should, as you say, speed up the sync process. I do hope Kobo, one day will allow Kobo users to set if they want to have update on Reading Life and Awards or otherwise.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you don't care for Reading Life and Awards you can turn them off via Settings > Reading settings (page 2) > Track reading activity.

As for updating dictionaries, it could be that it is just checking to see if you have the latest version rather than re-downloading the dictionaries, though I may be wrong. Whichever is the case, GeoffR's suggestion of reducing the number of installed dictionaries will reduce the sync time.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
pentel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
If you don't care for Reading Life and Awards you can turn them off via Settings > Reading settings (page 2) > Track reading activity.
This is great! I can now prevent Kobo from updating Reading Life and Award.Looking forward to see a shorter sync time on my next book purchase. Thank you for your help!