Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Best practice to import a HTML web pages to iBooks on same iOS device?

I asked a slightly similar, but also different question about best practices on how to transfer a HTML page from a Windows PC, or Mac to read in iBooks. Not to add confusion, I had to open this, as search did not help, and it would confuse to derail the other thread.

I understand the easiest way to read (offline) HTML web pages on iOS would be to simply save the page later for offline reading, but that does not include the ability of highlighting, note taking and dictionary, which are available in iBooks.

Well, maybe the dictionary MIGHT BE available in Safari for iOS as well (some online version, which requires an internet connection?), but not the Oxford New American offline which is part of iBooks. I might be wrong with this, please correct me.

So, I just don't want to carry around a PC, so it might be better if I can import a web page to iBooks on the same device - prefereably without an Internet connection required to the simple task.

Still in the research phase before getting into iOS.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
I asked a slightly similar, but also different question about best practices on how to transfer a HTML page from a Windows PC, or Mac to read in iBooks. Not to add confusion, I had to open this, as search did not help, and it would confuse to derail the other thread.

I understand the easiest way to read (offline) HTML web pages on iOS would be to simply save the page later for offline reading, but that does not include the ability of highlighting, note taking and dictionary, which are available in iBooks.

Well, maybe the dictionary MIGHT BE available in Safari for iOS as well (some online version, which requires an internet connection?), but not the Oxford New American offline which is part of iBooks. I might be wrong with this, please correct me.

So, I just don't want to carry around a PC, so it might be better if I can import a web page to iBooks on the same device - prefereably without an Internet connection required to the simple task.

Still in the research phase before getting into iOS.
iBooks basically reads ePub and PDF documents so you would need a converter to make one of these forms, probably ePub. There are converters in the iTunes store, some are free. Pages, for example, will build an ePub as an output. Then you share the output with iBooks directly. This at least is the basic idea. I intend to try it myself.

Of course if you start on a PC or mac it is easy to convert to ePub. See our wiki for details.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
The dictionaries built into iOS (including the Oxford New American) are available in almost all apps, except maybe very badly designed ones or apps that will not allow you to select text because they are so afraid you might copy it and sell it and become a millionaire (sorry, OT rant!). There is certainly no difference in the choices of dictionaries available in iBooks, Safari, or again almost any other app.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
So, if I save the page in Safari, I will be able to use the dictionary in it? That's good.

But how about notes/highlights/bookmarks on certain paragraphs on the page? (Equally important)
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, for notes and highlights the best thing would be to export to ePub or PDF, I think. Ideally ePub. It would be nice to have an app that would convert a web page to ePub and let you annotate it. I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I just made a quick test using iCabMobile (my favorite browser on iOS) and an extension using the online service dotEPUB that converts webpages to epub books. My test with a newspaper article from telegraph.co.uk seemed to work well but I didn't take the time to read the article yet. You can test the service yourself on the website I guess. It works well with iCabMobile. The ePub file is generated online and downloaded to iCab, and you can then send it to your reader app of choice.