Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #1
qee4q
Enthusiast
qee4q began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura
Books not listed by title but just "<title> - <number> - <series>"

Hi guys

I use Calibre to make sure that the metadata for my ebooks are fine and then sideload books to my kobo aura.

For some reason the last two books I've sideloaded appear "funny" on my bookshelf. Can somebody explain to me whats going on or more importantly how to fix it.

As you can see on the picture below the two books are listed as <title> - <number> - <series> instead of their actual title. Both of the books are in a collection called "Tænkepauser" (Danish word) - but that is only displayed on one of them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/qee4q/...posted-public/

If you check the metadata everything looks to be ok:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/qee4q/...eposted-public

Without fully understanding it I use the following plugboard - which used to work out fine for me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/qee4q/...posted-public/

I hope somebody can help me make my books appear with the rigth title and collection.

Thanks!

Last edited by qee4q; 05-09-2015 at 05:01 AM.
qee4q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Are you sure that plugin has worked well for you? Because the poor plugin is doing as requested and Aura showing what it has received. You're saying that, when a kepub is sent to the Aura, the title field is replaced <title> - <number> - <series>
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
qee4q
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Are you sure that plugin has worked well for you? Because the poor plugin is doing as requested and Aura showing what it has received. You're saying that, when a kepub is sent to the Aura, the title field is replaced <title> - <number> - <series>
Haha.. So you're suggesting I made the mess my self with the plugin? So I should just delete it?

I thought the plugin would make my books appear like this:

Gud - 32 - Tænkepauser
Old 05-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't read the last screenshot properly, but it is the Metadata Plugboard screen. Based in the other pictures, I think you have the plugboard defined wrong. It looks like you have:

Code:
<title> - <number> - <series>
But, it should be:

Code:
{title} - {series_index} - {series}
Using the details from the second picture, that would set the title to:

Code:
Gud- 32 -Taenkepauser
I find that a strange choice for the title as I can't think of what benefit it gives on a Kobo ereader. A more common choice is:

Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Which would give:

Code:
Taenkepauser 32 - Gud
That has the advantage that a title sort puts the books in the correct series order.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
qee4q
Enthusiast

Thank you very much! I will give it a try.

When I wrote the post I was actually wondering why I had chosen title type I did. I very much prefer yours.

If I change the plugboard settings do they automatically apply to the books on my kobo or do I have to do something to rename every title?
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qee4q View Post
If I change the plugboard settings do they automatically apply to the books on my kobo or do I have to do something to rename every title?
The metadata plugboards are applied when the book is sent to the device. Because of the way the Kobo ereaders work, that would mean resending the books. But, my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre as a function to update the metadata in the database on the device and hence that displayed. For the title and author, the metadata plugboard can be used when doing this.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
qee4q
Enthusiast

Great news!

How do I get the kobo utilities plugboard? Is it somewhere to be found or do I have to type something somewhat like the codes you showed me earlier?

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qee4q View Post
How do I get the kobo utilities plugboard? Is it somewhere to be found or do I have to type something somewhat like the codes you showed me earlier?
It's not a plugboard, but a plugin. Details of it are n https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339. Plugin installation instructions are in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118680.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
qee4q
Enthusiast

Thanks again!

I wish I could give you karma but for some reason I can't - but now you have my gratitude in stead :-D
Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you for this thread, it has given me an idea for ordering series... only when I need it (not all books ) and remembering that ' ' is smaller than '0'.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 05-10-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
qee4q
Enthusiast

I updated the plugboard to look like this:

{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

Then I installed the Kobo Utilities Plugin and restarted Calibre.

Then on the Library Page I pushed the new KoboUtilities icon and choose "Updata metadata in device library".

I put a checker in "title" and "use plugboard" and then pressed ok. I was then told that one book had changed it its name. I don't know which one - but shouldn't all of my books in series have changed name?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Did you have more than one book selected/highlighted when you pressed 'Update metadata"?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
qee4q
Enthusiast

Bingo!

That solved the problem. I feel rather stupid now - but hey - it works!

Thank you very much everybody!!