Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
huotg01
Enthusiast
huotg01 began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader, Xiaomi Note 10
Possible to change the "Newest" behavior in the web interface menu ?

Hi!

Even if I was lucky enough to get an answer from Kivid Goyal, I think I was not on the right forum. Therefore here was the thread:
OP:
I started fetching "news" in my Calibre Library.
When using the web interface menu, I would like the "Newest" button to display just the Books, or said in other words, display all except the "News".
If I want the "News", I will click the "News" button.
Is it possible ?
Thanks,
Gaston

Answer from Mr Goyal
Just create a saved search, for not tags:=News then it will be available under "Searches" in the web interface. IIRC it will by default be sorted by date so it should be exactly what you want.

My answer to Mr Goyal:
Thank you for this helpful answer. Yes, it could do the job, but would it be possible for me to set a menu button with this very specific filter (in fact it is what I was trying to do by asking if it was possible to change the filter associated with the "Newest" menu button) ?
Thanks
Gaston
ps: by the way, when working in French, Calibre add the tag "Actualités" for "news", and I think that the Web interface add the menu button "Actualités" when detecting the tag "Actualités" for an item stored in the library. When working in English, Calibre add the tag "News" in the same condition, and I think that the Web interface add the menu button "News" when detecting the tag "News" for an item. Now, let's say that I switch Calibre from french to English, my items with the "Actualités" tag won't trigger the web interface and I won't have the "News" menu button. Would it be better to always use the "News" tag in all languages?

The question:
Is there a known technical trick to assign a specific search with a specific sort (by date in my case) to a menu button on the web interface ?

Thanks

Last edited by huotg01; 06-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.
huotg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Answer from Mr Goyal
Just create a saved search, for not tags:=News then it will be available under "Searches" in the web interface. IIRC it will by default be sorted by date so it should be exactly what you want.
...and, by the way, I forgot to mention that it is not sorted by date. It seems that there is no way to pre-specify the sort order.
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved as message topic did not appear to be from a developer. Please read and heed, stickies before posting in any MR forums
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no way to add items to the top level of the content server screen.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, there is no way to add items to the top level of the content server screen.
In fact, there is one (almost). You have to create a custom field/metadata. Then a new menu button will appear on web interface main menu. The problem is that there is no way whatsoever to decide on the initial sort order...
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you apply a virtual library on the Content Server settings, the server will only show items in that virtual library. And viewing "newest" will be restricted to that virtual library.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
huotg01
Enthusiast

Thanks. That was my first tought, and it is exactly what I tried, but there was a problem because the items excluded from the library (the News) were no longer available (quite normal, after all...).

It could be a solution if I have two Calibre installation (on the same BD ?), one defining the News virtual library as the target for the content server, and another one (maybe just the server part) with all items but the News as the content server target, each one with a specific port number. Not very elegant, but should work ?

G.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two calibre installations won't run at the same time, but you can run multiple instances of calibre-server via the command -line from one installation:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...re-server.html
Code:
calibre-server --port 8080 --with-library /path/to/library --restriction name-of-virtual-library

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-11-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Two calibre installations won't run at the same time, but you can run multiple instances of calibre-server via the command -line from one installation:
`...
Thank you so much. It does the job perfectly.
Is there something in Calibre to start this second instance automatically, or do I have to use one of the Windows mechanism ?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Windows batch file. Optionally as a Scheduled Task.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
huotg01
Enthusiast

Thanks again.