Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
Unhappy After Factory Reset Cover Art For All File Formats Dosen't Appear

I transfer my e-books to my Kobo via Caliber. This was not an issue before and I was using the current versions of the Kobo firmware and Caliber. Not sure if the issue is with Caliber or my Kobo.

HELP. PLEASE. THANKS.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you haven't already done so, try installing the calibre Kobo Utilities plugin. When the device is connected it has an option 'Upload covers for Selected Books'.

To the best of my knowledge, when you send new books using the normal calibre send-to-device option the cover thumbnail automatically gets sent if you've ticked the appropriate option in the Kobo device driver config. The factory reset probably deleted all those. Given time the Kobo can re-extract the thumbnails from some formats (e.g. epub) but maybe not all formats. The Kobo Utilities plugin just makes it quick & easy to resend the thumbnails. If I've got any details wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-13-2016 at 05:30 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can also select options in the driver to send the covers when sending the books.

But, what formats are not showing covers? And what is shown? TXT books won't show covers. If you use the extended driver to send the books, a cover will only be shown if the book actually includes a cover. You say you were using the latest firmware before the factory reset. What are you using now?

Last edited by davidfor; 04-13-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: TXT format rather than non-fiction text books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Formats affected: PDF, CBR, EPUB, KEPUB
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any chance of an answer to my other questions?
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast

See my first post above: I am using the most recent version of the Kobo firmware and Caliber. What does show-up is plan cover with a double line border and the ebook's title in the centre.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post
See my first post above: I am using the most recent version of the Kobo firmware and Caliber.
It's nit-picky, but your first post says you did a factory reset and "was using". It doesn't say what you are using now. And of course, calibre is updated often enough that by the time someone else sees a post, the latest version has changed. Kobo have also done some interesting things with releases, so it's always a good idea to check the version.
Quote:
What does show-up is plan cover with a double line border and the ebook's title in the centre.
OK, that's the default cover used if the device can't generate or extract one. For TXT and some others, this will always be used. For kepubs, it will be used if no image in the file is marked as the cover.

For epubs and PDF with recent firmware it usually means you used calibre to replace the copy of the book on the device. Restarting the device will usually get the correct cover generated for these.

Another reason for the cover not being generated is if the memory is full. The cover is generated and saved on the memory, so no space will cause problems.

I can't think of any other reasons. I doubt it is a calibre issue, but to prove it isn't, manually sideload a book and see what happens.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-14-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Fix the quoting.

Tags
cover art, kobo aura h2o, kobo firmware