Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Keeping date order on new Kindle

Looking forward to Calibring my library onto my Oasis tomorrow, but if I remember rightly loading onto a new ereader means losing the date order in my library on the new machine. Is there any way of retaining it?
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If all your books are DRM-free, you could just copy the contents of the "/documents" folder from the old Kindle to the new. That should preserve date order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Which date? The publication date or the Recently Read date?

The latter is kept in the Content Catalog (/var/local/cc.db on the system partition) and isn't really the kind of thing you transfer between devices...

This question belongs in the Amazon Kindle subforum.
EDIT: Actually the XY problem strikes again.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-26-2016 at 11:13 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

The date which appears in the third column on Calibre - the date added to the library. I like to be able to have the more recently added ones near the top of a list as they are the ones I'll more likely want to be reading.

I thought it was a Calibre question as I've had the same problem transferring to Android and Kobo using Calibre. But if HarryT's suggestion works, I can see it's more a Kindle question.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, there you go -- no one really knew what the question was, so we all had the wrong idea. Please try to be more specific next time, so we know what question to try answering.

The calibre date added to library field is not a recognized Dublin Core field, and in fact is not recognized by any piece of software other than calibre (and possibly the Android app "Calibre Companion" which as the name suggests was specifically designed to recognize "whatever calibre knows about".

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-26-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
The date which appears in the third column on Calibre - the date added to the library. I like to be able to have the more recently added ones near the top of a list as they are the ones I'll more likely want to be reading.

I thought it was a Calibre question as I've had the same problem transferring to Android and Kobo using Calibre. But if HarryT's suggestion works, I can see it's more a Kindle question.
That date should not change from when you first added the book to Calibre. (you can edit)

Calibre has 3 standard Date (timestamp) fields:
{date}, {pubdate}, {last_modified} and I am not sure if {date} is a real template accessible value (the others are)

Kindles keep their own DB, and track when books are added to IT. Calibre has no control of that.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Kindles keep their own DB, and track when books are added to IT. Calibre has no control of that.
That's what I thought the OP was talking about - the order you get the books displayed in on the Kindle when you set the home page sort order to "Recent". Copying the "/documents" folder should preserve that.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
palazzo
Enthusiast

The copying and pasting the contents of the "/documents" folder didn't work. The date modified Windows field seemed to be preserved, but the RECENT library listing on the Oasis didn't keep the order.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh well - it was worth trying. At least by doing that you've preserved all your annotations, bookmarks, etc.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
palazzo
Enthusiast

It was worth a try. I didn't realise I'd've kept the bookmarks. Now I've started again using calibre to transfer in batches - years first (since 2009) and then months in 2016, to have some date order as each batch slots in newer than the last.

You may think that if they've been in my library unread since 2009 they're never going to be, but I do intend to read them!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
It was worth a try. I didn't realise I'd've kept the bookmarks. Now I've started again using calibre to transfer in batches - years first (since 2009) and then months in 2016, to have some date order as each batch slots in newer than the last.

You may think that if they've been in my library unread since 2009 they're never going to be, but I do intend to read them!
I completely appreciate that. I have a backlog of books bought from Baen dating back to 2003 .
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I completely appreciate that. I have a backlog of books bought from Baen dating back to 2003 .
You got some of those also?
New bundles keep appearing before I finish the backlog
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I did say so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Which date? The publication date or the Recently Read date?

The latter is kept in the Content Catalog (/var/local/cc.db on the system partition) and isn't really the kind of thing you transfer between devices...
Honestly, I can't think why the recently read date would depend on the datestamp for the ebook file. How would you mark a book as recently opened, `touch` it? Seems rather clumsy.

Yes, copying the entire documents folder preserves the annotations etc.
And it wouldn't be unreasonable to think the recently read status was in the *.sdr/ folder (as opposed to the file datestamp), but as it happens, it isn't.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.