Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Multiple authors not showing in Kobo

I noticed today that for some time (1 month?) books with 2 authors (at least) show only one on Kobo Glo when transferred in kepub format. Since I have a new installation (new laptop) I wonder if something was broken during the transfer, although I restored the config files and settings. Another possibility could be a change in Calibre or (less likely considering the last update date) in the Kobo Touch Extended driver. Any idea?
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For epubs, the Kobo firmware only reads the first "dc:creator" in the OPF. But, calibre writes each author as a separate dc:creator tag. Hence, multi-author epubs show up on the device with only the first author showing. This can also lead to the book on the device matching back to the calibre library when the device is plugged in. I have always assumed that kepubs work the same way, so I have never checked.

I know of a couples of ways to get around this. Firstly, after the book is on the device, use my Kobo Utilities to set the correct authors in the database on the device. That doesn't change the actual book, just what is displayed on the device.

The other is to use a metadata plugboard to set the author during the send to device. There has been discussion on this in the Kobo forum and there is a good example there to use. It's been a while since this was last discussed, but hopefully a search will find it. It's possible that you already have this set for metadata plugboard for the extended driver. That would explain why it works for kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For epubs, the Kobo firmware only reads the first "dc:creator" in the OPF. But, calibre writes each author as a separate dc:creator tag. Hence, multi-author epubs show up on the device with only the first author showing. This can also lead to the book on the device matching back to the calibre library when the device is plugged in. I have always assumed that kepubs work the same way, so I have never checked.
And I always thought kepubs got all the authors, but then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I know of a couples of ways to get around this. Firstly, after the book is on the device, use my Kobo Utilities to set the correct authors in the database on the device. That doesn't change the actual book, just what is displayed on the device.
I remember now having to update the metadatas using your plug-in on some kepub books for this reason. This does the trick, than you!
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kepub, kobo glo, plug-in