Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Pre-Purchase Questions ... Clara/Libra/Forma

Hello All!

My beloved Glo needs replacement ... the light no longer turns on.

I'd like to stick with Kobo and I have a few questions:

1. For those who have purchased through WalMart.com, did you have a 90-day return window? In some of my internet surfing, I've found reference to a 90-day policy, but I also know WalMart has a 14-day electronics return policy, so I wanted to confirm the 90-day return for a Kobo e-reader.

2. With the new ComfortLight Pro, do you find the need for the Nightmode modification (white text on black)?

3. On this forum, I've seen complaints about the ComfortLight not working/having inconsistent lighting/very orange tone/etc. For those who have had these issues, did the problem happen right out of the box or did it take days/weeks/months?
(hence, my questions about WalMart's return policy)

4. I know the Libra and Forma feature screen rotation. I've also seen several posts about the rotation not locking one way or the other. I read in bed, on my side. I like the text to start at my head end and run to my foot end ... i.e. be in portrait orientation even if the device is held in landscape. For those that have Formas or Libras, will your screen lock into portrait orientation?

5. I want to confirm that, even though the Forma & Libra have page turn buttons, the pages can still be turned with a swipe or tap.

6. When I first saw the Forma back in January, I thought --- I like that! Too bad it's so big. Then, I see that the Libra just came out. I"m on board! Except, from reading the posts here, it seems the Forma had a lot of issues at the beginning so I'm leery of jumping on the bandwagon. That's another reason to wonder about WalMart's return policy. I haven't looked at e-reader devices in the last five years, so I don't know about the launch of new Kobo models. Did it seem that a high percentage of the Formas had issues? Does it seem that each new model launch has a lot of issues ... perhaps warranting the purchase of a Clara HD for now and possibly a Libra in the next 6-9 months?

I have always appreciated the help I've found here, even if it's reading a post about the same issue I'm having and being able to solve it based on the responses.

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Although the title of this thread is Walmart warranty, it is also about Walmart's return policy
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323600
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have a Clara, not a Forma or Libra. We'll see how helpful my answers are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
1. For those who have purchased through WalMart.com, did you have a 90-day return window? In some of my internet surfing, I've found reference to a 90-day policy, but I also know WalMart has a 14-day electronics return policy, so I wanted to confirm the 90-day return for a Kobo e-reader.
I bought my Clara from Walmart. I believe it's the same 14-day electronics return policy. (I bought mine a while back, and don't remember for sure.)

Quote:
2. With the new ComfortLight Pro, do you find the need for the Nightmode modification (white text on black)?
I've never used the nightmode modification. Having said that, reading in the dark I did notice a big difference between reading with the original white/blue light vs. the orange light. The orange light in a completely darkened room feels more soothing.

I have read other users on here do combine night mode and the orange light and seem to like the combination.

Quote:
3. On this forum, I've seen complaints about the ComfortLight not working/having inconsistent lighting/very orange tone/etc. For those who have had these issues, did the problem happen right out of the box or did it take days/weeks/months?
The lightning problems tend to be noticeable right out of the box. I suppose some buyers might be so excited to get their new device they at first overlook flaws. But if your device has issues, you should notice them right away.

A very orange tone is a good thing. Remember, the light is adjustable. If you find 'full orange' too much for you, you can change it. I kinda wish I could make the screen oranger sometimes.

Quote:
4. I know the Libra and Forma feature screen rotation. I've also seen several posts about the rotation not locking one way or the other. I read in bed, on my side. I like the text to start at my head end and run to my foot end ... i.e. be in portrait orientation even if the device is held in landscape. For those that have Formas or Libras, will your screen lock into portrait orientation?
Screen lock is available on the Formas and Libras.

Quote:
5. I want to confirm that, even though the Forma & Libra have page turn buttons, the pages can still be turned with a swipe or tap.
Yes you can.

Quote:
6. I haven't looked at e-reader devices in the last five years, so I don't know about the launch of new Kobo models. Did it seem that a high percentage of the Formas had issues? Does it seem that each new model launch has a lot of issues ... perhaps warranting the purchase of a Clara HD for now and possibly a Libra in the next 6-9 months?
I can say that every new device Kobo introduces seems to have issues at first. And the larger the screen, the harder it is to nail down frontlighting.

When the Clara was first released, there was a 'light bleed' issue. That seems to have been fixed.

When the Forma was first released, there seemed to be a bar down the side that was lit differently than the rest of the screen.

I haven't paid as much attention to the Libra, but I'm sure reading around, people have nots to pick there.

Just remember, most devices won't have those issues, even in the early days. Otherwise they would be reported a lot more widely than on just this forum.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Although the title of this thread is Walmart warranty, it is also about Walmart's return policy
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323600
I do know the Walmart return policy, but this site states that the writer's experience is that it's 90 days on the Kobo e-readers.
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ithin-90-days/

I was hoping someone on this forum who bought their Kobo e-reader from Walmart could corroborate it.

Thanks,

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Assume it’s 15 though if you buy it in the later part of November or December that time starts on December 26.

Quote:
I prefer the night mode to the regular mode regardless. Though you won’t need to use any mods or patches to get it. Though you will need a patch to make it accessible directly from reading settings.

Quote:
I have not had these issues but the comfort light being excessively orange is probably from turning it up all the way. From what I’ve read the people with issues noticed them right away.

Quote:
Both can lock to only be in one of the two rotations. So for you you’d lock it in portrait it would then only flip when it was rotated 180 degrees. Holding it in landscape would be fine.

Quote:
Yes they both have touch controls the same as any other modern kobo.

Quote:
6. When I first saw the Forma back in January, I thought --- I like that! Too bad it's so big. Then, I see that the Libra just came out. I"m on board! Except, from reading the posts here, it seems the Forma had a lot of issues at the beginning so I'm leery of jumping on the bandwagon. That's another reason to wonder about WalMart's return policy. I haven't looked at e-reader devices in the last five years, so I don't know about the launch of new Kobo models. Did it seem that a high percentage of the Formas had issues? Does it seem that each new model launch has a lot of issues ... perhaps warranting the purchase of a Clara HD for now and possibly a Libra in the next 6-9 months?
The issues with the Forma were hit and miss even from the launch. Some people saw uneven lighting others didn’t. The same seems to be true for the Libra. Time does not seem to be a major factor in improving your odds of a ‘perfect’ screen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
I use and like both, but in general I prefer using the ComfortLight in the evening and Nightmode when I'm reading in bed in complete darkness. Keep in mind that you don't need to 'install' Nightmode anymore - with the patches you can substitute the 'show Adobe page number' option in the Reading Settings with the Nightmode option that is in-built by Kobo but not yet official.

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with my Libra, but those who had issues noticed them right from the start. With the natural light turned off the frontlight is a cool white; if you turn it on it goes from a warmer white (lowest setting) to orange (highest setting). This is normal behavior.

Quote:
The screen locks in either portrait or landscape orientation, so yes, you can read like you're used to with no issues (it's what I do as well).

Quote:
Yes, all three options are available.

Last edited by mathil; 10-22-2019 at 03:17 AM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

My Libra arrived from Walmart on Thursday. I'm very happy with it. I ordered it on October 22nd.

In my order history, I have until November 13 to return the cover, which really doesn't make sense because 22 days it's 15 or 90! For the actual e-reader, I have 97 days to return it. Weird.

Now off to find new books!

Thanks for all your help!

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
The only problem is none of the new kobo's have the external memory card slot like your kobo glo has. So if you used it you'll miss it, if not then you won't and a new e reader will be good.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
I can confirm the very generous Walmart return policy for the Kobo reader, as it is definitely 90 days. Last November I bought an H2O and was able to exchange it for an Aura One 6 weeks later. Now I have ordered a Clara to replace my Nook Glowlight 3 which no longer holds a charge. It is supposed to arrive October 29 and I have until January 30 to return or exchange it. I hope Walmart continues to sell them. I'm appreciate having an alternative to the Kindle since the Nook seems a little iffy at this point.
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Thanks for this good info in re Walmart 90 day return policy.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote