Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Olly Gark
Olly Gark began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Books in series issue

I have a Kobo Clara HD reader and use Calibre to manage my books.

I like to read book series in order wherever possible, and I’ve noticed that some book series I’ve got, show the number of the release as an extra line on the My Books page on my Kobo (see attached photo showing what I mean)

Most of my books don’t show this extra line even those that are obviously in a series.

I’ve looked at the metadata in Calibre and cannot see where Kobo is reading this extra info from. Would like to be able to configure all the other book series I have to display in the same manner.

Does anyone have any ideas how I would achieve this?

Thanks
Olly

Put this in the Kobo thread, but not sure if its a Calibre issue or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200310_115848473.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	177675  
Olly Gark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to update Calibre to 4.12 and to update your firmware to 4.20.14617. This way, you'll have the new series feature that will help you greatly with series. The thread about the 4.20 forware can be found here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328025

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2020 at 08:31 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly Gark View Post
I have a Kobo Clara HD reader and use Calibre to manage my books.

I like to read book series in order wherever possible, and I’ve noticed that some book series I’ve got, show the number of the release as an extra line on the My Books page on my Kobo (see attached photo showing what I mean)

Most of my books don’t show this extra line even those that are obviously in a series.

I’ve looked at the metadata in Calibre and cannot see where Kobo is reading this extra info from. Would like to be able to configure all the other book series I have to display in the same manner.

Does anyone have any ideas how I would achieve this?
The series information on the device is set from the series information in the calibre library. If you haven't set that, then it can't be sent to the device. Also, it is not set when the book is sent to the device. You have to send the book, disconnect the device and let it import the book. When you connect the device again, calibre will update the database on the device with the series information. And with firmware 4.20.x and calibre 4.12, the Series tab will also be populated.

And Jon, can you do everyone a favour and actually read the post before answering. The OP is asking about series info in general, not the Series tab. All versions of the firmware for a Clara HD support series info. And any version of calibre that can communicate with a Clara HD will set the series info.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Olly Gark
Olly Gark began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Thanks both for taking the time to reply.
I've updated Cailbre to 4.12 and updated the firmware on my Kobo to 4.20.14601
Followed davidfor's advice and it works perfectly but you do have to do the disconnect and connect again for the Kobo display to update.
All in all perfect - just what I wanted.
Thank you so much
Olly
Olly Gark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly Gark View Post
Thanks both for taking the time to reply.
I've updated Cailbre to 4.12 and updated the firmware on my Kobo to 4.20.14601
Followed davidfor's advice and it works perfectly but you do have to do the disconnect and connect again for the Kobo display to update.
All in all perfect - just what I wanted.
Thank you so much
Olly
Update to 4.20.14622 which is the current firmware. It fixes some things in the 4.20.14601 firmware. If you have to side load to get it, do so. See the thread in the Kobo forum on the new firmware. The links to download the ZIP for manually updating/patching is in the thread.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Also, it is not set when the book is sent to the device. You have to send the book, disconnect the device and let it import the book. When you connect the device again, calibre will update the database on the device with the series information.

I've been wondering if it's just me that has to go through that song and dance to get the series information to display. I keep meaning to post a query here but then forget.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I've been wondering if it's just me that has to go through that song and dance to get the series information to display. I keep meaning to post a query here but then forget.
When you first send a book to your Kobo, there is no entry in the device's database for it. Once a book has been sent and imported, the database entry is created and can be updated. Hence the need for the two step.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote