Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
darrienland
darrienland began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Smile Can't upload some epub files into calibre

Hey! I'm new to this (any any) forums, so be patient with me please

I just found my old Kindle Fire and decided to add some books to it again for the first time since 2014. I used the newest version of Calibre to convert my epub files to mobi, but for some reason only about half of the books I have on my computer will let themselves be properly uploading into the program. When i try and upload the rest I get this message:

calibre, version 4.13.0
WARNING: Errors while adding: There were problems adding some files, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to add the file /Users/darrienland/Documents/BOOKS/new book.epub to the book: /Users/darrienland/Documents/BOOKS/new book
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 445, in add_formats
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1442, in add_format
File "site-packages/calibre/startup.py", line 175, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: u'/Users/darrienland/Documents/BOOKS/new book.epub'

Now, from what I understand, some (or all?) epub files are sort of like zip files? And (when in the home file location) if I right click the epub files that DIDN'T upload to calibre, there is an option under the 'open with' selection to 'show package contents', which I've noticed the ones that DID upload don't have. So I'm assuming the problem lies somewhere in all of that, but the problem is I'm not sure where to go from there.

So what can I do to get these books in calibre, so they can go on my Kindle? Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
darrienland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Unfortunately you have (created) a directory with an extension.
Yes, that is valid in Linux. Iffy in Windows (and a nightmare when the extension also matches a file type).

You might find that folder using the OS and change or delete the extension (see if there is any useful inside. It may be moot )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ibooks stores epub files as directories with an .epub extension. I elieve there are some scripts flaoting around to convert these back to actual epub files that you can add to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
saraW
saraW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i can't get my books into calibre - I am dropping them in from apple books and nothing happens. Then I am downloading into a folder and selecting from there and nothing happens but I get a error message? Any help - I am going crazy trying to convert these books so I can put onto my kindle paperwhite.
saraW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub