Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2023, 11:49 AM   #1
Spiral
Spiral began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How can I use custom fonts while not embeding them?

I want to use custom fonts by put them in the "font/" directory in kindle and not embeding them.
So I firstly write an epub3 book and transform it into azw3 to read in kindle. So I defined
Code:
@font-face { font-family:"songti"; src:
local("LXGW Wenkai Screen R"),
local("STSong");}
in my .css file and use the font in tags of xhtml.
The built-in font, "STSong", is used in a fallback way, which means the custom font "LXGW Wenkai Screen R" is not working correctly.

I think there are two possible reasons for fail:
  1. The font name is not correct
  2. I can not use the custom font the same way as use the built-in fonts, instead I have to use url to access the custom font in "fonts" directory.

Is it possible to achieve my goal? Any help is warmly welcomed!
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think you might be over-complicating the issue. Here's what I do.
Select a font from one of the free font sites. Make sure you get all four versions of it:
Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic.
Put these into the font file on your kindle.
Then any books which are in azw3 will enable you to select this font. The reason for having all four types is for instances when a book uses italic etc font in a passage or word.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
custom fonts, epub, kindle