Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
kelemvor
Enthusiast
kelemvor began at the beginning.

Device: Android
What the best way to get epub books on the Kindle app these days? Epub? Convert?

Hi,

I know Calibre can convert to Amazon format, but I also know that the Kindle app now supports epubs, so I'm not sure which is the best way to go about it. This will be for using the Kindle App on a Fire Tablet, and not on an actual Kindle device itself.

I have a bunch of epub files and most of them are a part of a series. I've read that the Kindle app supports grouping books by series and I would definitely want to take advantage of that feature.

When I did a test, with a couple random epub files, the files showed up under "Docs" and not under "Books" in my Amazon content area so I'm not sure if that's a problem. They also don't appear to show up with the cover art which is also a problem.

Based on that, I'm guessing I should try using Calibre to convert them. But, I also read that Kindles are dropping, or have dropped, support for Mobi files?!? Not sure if that's true or not since I'm just trying to figure this out.

Anyway, what's the best way to get epub files into the Kindle app with the following criteria
  • Must show the cover art like the epub file does
  • Must copy of the Series and Author so the Kindle can group the books
  • I'm find if I have to do a bunch of work inside of Calibre to spruce up the books to get them ready

Thanks for any advice.
kelemvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Mod the Fire so you can use Android Store.
Use Lithium or Pocketbook epub ereaders, or other App. Only use the Kindle app for ebooks from Amazon.

Or convert to AZW3 and copy via USB. I could be wrong, but I think Kindle App support for Epub is "Send it to Amazon Account" and sync. They convert.

Kindle app might only do series for ebooks from Amazon.

Mobi files are only for K1, K2, DX and DXG (other old ereaders can be upgraded to azw3 firmware). You want azw3 for a Kindle App and any Kindle other than those ancient ones. Amazon has only dropped support for upload of Mobi.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 02:38 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
When I did a test, with a couple random epub files, the files showed up under "Docs" and not under "Books" in my Amazon content area so I'm not sure if that's a problem. They also don't appear to show up with the cover art which is also a problem.
The Kindle app on the Fire tablet has had this flaw since the very beginning. What is especially weird about it is that neither the Kindle nor the Kindle iPad app have this flaw.

I usually use Amazon's email conversion service to send ebooks to my account. I send Epubs.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
FWIW: Send-to-Kindle no longer accepts .mobi format, but requires ePub, which is then converted to Kindle's proprietary AWZ format. This is fairly recent. So, no conversion needed OR helpful. You can send ePub straight to Kindle (assuming that you are using Send-to-Kindle). As far as the cover art, etc., your mileage may vary. I've had some covers show up perfectly from ePub sends to Kindle. Some don't. I suspect the difference may be some undocumented/poorly documented requirement regarding image size/resolution. Some work fine, some not at all. If you are trying to read locally stored/side-loaded books on the Kindle reader, I don't think it will read ePub directly.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote