Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 11:36 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Exclamation Kobo Libra Colour can't see 5GHz networks

I've gone through all the steps on this page (https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-Kobo-eReader) short of factory reseting my device. Before I do that next, is anybody else having issues with their Kobo Libra Colour seeing 5GHz networks? I've stood under the router. I've rebooted the routers. I've rebooted the Libra Colour. I've turned Wi-Fi on and off. I've deleted the 2.4 GHz network. Nothing I do shows the 5 GHz network in the list. I've also verified that the 5GHz network is running. My Mac and iPhone connect to it just fine, as does my Elipsa.

I have several neighbors with both 2.4 & 5 GHz networks broadcast in the open. I'm only seeing the 2.4 versions of their networks, too.

When I attempt to add the network manually, meticulously avoiding typos, the Libra Colour tells me "Unable to join (network name). Please try again." Anybody else bump into this issue? Did you find a fix?

Last edited by Cootey; 05-03-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:53 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I would enable developer mode and then try the advice in this article over telnet:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...supports-5-ghz

The Libra 2 doesn't support 5 GHz, so it would be rather concerning if the Libra Colour doesn't either, despite the advertised specifications...
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 02:22 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I would enable developer mode and then try the advice in this article over telnet:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...supports-5-ghz

The Libra 2 doesn't support 5 GHz, so it would be rather concerning if the Libra Colour doesn't either, despite the advertised specifications...
I got NickelMenu installed, but telnet isn't working. In fact, NickelMenu has made things worse. Now the Libra Colour won't stay connected to WiFi, and can't remember the password anymore. So I'm removing it until I hear from others what tweaks they made to get things to work correctly.

That still leaves me with a Kobo that can't see 5GHz networks.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:39 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I got NickelMenu installed, but telnet isn't working. In fact, NickelMenu has made things worse. Now the Libra Colour won't stay connected to WiFi, and can't remember the password anymore. So I'm removing it until I hear from others what tweaks they made to get things to work correctly.

That still leaves me with a Kobo that can't see 5GHz networks.
I can't see how NickelMenu would cause your LC to forget the network.

I just connected to my network and it connected to the 2.4Ghz part and not the 5Ghz.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:19 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can't see how NickelMenu would cause your LC to forget the network.

I just connected to my network and it connected to the 2.4Ghz part and not the 5Ghz.

I’m just reporting what I observed. 🤷🏻*♂️

I’m both glad I’m not alone and disheartened that you connected to 2.4 instead of 5GHz. I hope this is fixable in a software update.

Can you see your 5GHz network in the WiFi list?
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 08:51 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I’m just reporting what I observed. 🤷🏻*♂️

I’m both glad I’m not alone and disheartened that you connected to 2.4 instead of 5GHz. I hope this is fixable in a software update.

I have no idea if my 5Ghz is seen or not as I have the same SSID for both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:31 AM   #7
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
I just tried on my Libra Colour + using my smartphone as hotspot.

I started putting my phone as 5Ghz only -> LC couldn't see the network
I lowered my phone to 2.4-5 GHz -> LC could see the network
I switched my network to 5 GHz only -> LC kept the network in its list, but couldn't connect
I switched my network to 2.4-5GHz -> LC managed to connect
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:53 PM   #8
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
What 5GHz channel were you using? I think my Sage refused to use some channels which became legal in my country only in 2017 but it seems not to know this.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:06 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got NickelMenu installed, but telnet isn't working.
NickelMenu is not related to the instructions I gave you. Search devmodeon in the LC's search box to enable developer mode, connect to your 2.4 GHz network, and use telnet on your PC to connect to your LC's IP address. You can find your IP address in the settings menu, and devmode also has a "force Wi-Fi on" setting to prevent Wi-Fi from turning off while you're testing things.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:13 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post

I started putting my phone as 5Ghz only -> LC couldn't see the network
I lowered my phone to 2.4-5 GHz -> LC could see the network
I switched my network to 5 GHz only -> LC kept the network in its list, but couldn't connect
Well done! That was thorough troubleshooting. Thanks for corroborating the problem.

A few moments ago, I couldn't connect to any WiFi networks. I rebooted the networks, and cold cycled my Kobo Libra Colour twice. Then suddenly I *could* see the 5GHz network and connect to it. This is after 30 hours of trying and failing. Also, even with Nickelmenu removed, I have seen the WiFi routine forget my password at least once. So perhaps correlation, not causation was at fault, but there is a spotty issue with WiFi regardless.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-05-2024 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:35 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
NickelMenu is not related to the instructions I gave you. Search devmodeon in the LC's search box to enable developer mode, connect to your 2.4 GHz network, and use telnet on your PC to connect to your LC's IP address. You can find your IP address in the settings menu, and devmode also has a "force Wi-Fi on" setting to prevent Wi-Fi from turning off while you're testing things.
I routinely FTP into my Kobos from my iPhone to grab screenshots, etc. Telnet, too. Enabling dev mode is one of my first actions when getting a new Kobo. Just letting you know my skill level.

This is where I'm confused with what you're telling me. I've always used Nickelmenu to enable Telnet (and FTP) in order to connect to my readers. Telnet won't work otherwise. It gives me errors like the following when I just tried it:

Code:
>telnet 10.0.1.46
Trying 10.0.1.46...
telnet: connect to address 10.0.1.46: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
If you know better, please teach!

Update: You mentioned in another thread that you have your Kobo in sideloaded mode. Do you think that's the difference between your telnet experience and mine?

Last edited by Cootey; 05-05-2024 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:20 AM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Oh, I see. Yes, it's possible to enable telnet via NickelMenu, but it's not required. Enabling developer mode by performing a search for the keyword devmodeon automatically enables telnet, as well as enabling the secret developer options page in the settings menu. Since NickelMenu isn't working, you'll have to enable telnet this way, not via NickelMenu. Search the keyword devmodeoff to turn developer mode off again when you're done, which will also close telnet access.

I've never enabled telnet via NickelMenu before, which is why I was confused as to why you had brought it up. I've always used developer mode for that purpose. Go figure!
Old 05-05-2024, 01:32 AM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Oh, I see. Yes, it's possible to enable telnet via NickelMenu, but it's not required. Enabling developer mode by performing a search for the keyword devmodeon automatically enables telnet, as well as enabling the secret developer options page in the settings menu. Since NickelMenu isn't working, you'll have to enable telnet this way, not via NickelMenu. Search the keyword devmodeoff to turn developer mode off again when you're done, which will also close telnet access.

I've never enabled telnet via NickelMenu before, which is why I was confused as to why you had brought it up. I've always used developer mode for that purpose. Go figure!
As I stated, I know how to enable dev mode and turning it on doesn't enable Telnet access. The results I gave you were *with* dev mode on. So you've done something else to enable telnet. I cannot telnet into my Kobo without using that Nickelmenu hack. That's why I wondered if sideloaded mode was responsible.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:22 AM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Well, whatever the reason why I can't telnet without Nickelmenu is, I've reinstalled Nickelmenu and have telnet access to the Kobo again. The problem is that I don't know the password for root. It appears that they've changed it from " ", which always struck me as a tad lazy anyway. Anybody know the new login so I can check on the wifi card stats as originally suggested?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:28 AM   #15
Rid
Addict
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post

I have had problems like this before - not ereader related and it chose the older protocol because it worked. Doesn't "I switched my network to 2.4-5GHz" just mean, the device auto selected the network that worked?? Which was probably not 5GHZ, even though the dialogue said it was?

Edit;
Oh and I have had to set the frequency manually on other devices as well because it did not work, even though the manufacture specs said it could. They cut costs every place they can...

Last edited by Rid; 05-05-2024 at 02:43 AM.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote