Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2024, 03:04 AM   #1
Fafhrd
Fafhrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Sage
Post Kobo Sage and NickelMenu

Hello,
I have a Kobo Sage running the 4.38.21908 software.
Can I install NickelMenu without any problems ?
I installed NickelClock but it doesn't display anymore.
Thanks for your advices.
Fafhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Yes, NickelMenu works well on a Sage with 4.38.21908 firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 03:09 AM   #3
Fafhrd

I have installed NickelMenu and it seems to be working well, but...
I had to create manually the directory .adds/mn and the config file I want to use
I restarted my Kobo Sage, but not menu for Nickelmenu appears. Instead the menu "My notebooks" is still displayed on the screen. Is there a way not to display it and display the menu for Nickelmenu ?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-15-2024, 03:46 AM   #4
Fafhrd

There is also the menu "Discover"
Old 05-15-2024, 01:27 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Odd. When I installed NickelMenu, the .adds directory was automatically created with a nm directory inside it and the doc file (NickelMenu documentation file) stored in nm. I also saw the NickelMenu text & icon at the right hand bottom edge of the screen (Home, My Books, My Notebooks, Discover, More, NickelMenu were the 6 items in the row). Installing NickelMenu will not remove any of the 5 stock items from the bottom of the screen.

If you are not seeing the NickelMenu item, that suggests that your install was not completed correctly.
  1. Downloaded the NickelMenu installer (KoboRoot.tgz) from the first message in the NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders thread.
  2. Connect your Sage to your computer
  3. Copied KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory on your Sage
  4. Safely ejected your Sage
  5. Waiting until the firmware install had run and your Sage rebooted
  6. See the NickelMenu item at the bottom right of your screen

If you can't see the NickelMenu icon, how are you using it's menu?

Perhaps that NickelClock is no longer functioning suggests that something in your setup has been hooped. Did you uninstall NickelClock before installing NickelMenu?

Last edited by DNSB; 05-15-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2024, 03:04 AM   #6
Fafhrd

I had to hard reset my Kobo Sage for after ading books with Calibre, the reader asked me to enter again my paramters (Lagnguage, installing software) and made a full import of books on the kobo sage. Also all my reading was lost.

I have installed NickelClock before NickelMenu. When NickelClock disappeared I made a reset via the kobo menu, then I installed NickelMenu.

I have encountered problem with the database on the reader. Calibre kept telling me it could read the database as there was a problem in it.

When I installed NickelMenu, the changes I made to the screen where applied (Bigger cover images, ....). The menu for NickelMenu was not present.

For now the reader is running without NickelClock and without NickelMenu.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:10 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Sorry but what does NickelMenu have to do with bigger cover images? You can't even install KoboPatch options which is what you seem to be typing about at the same time as NickelMenu since they both use a KoboRoot.tgz file to install.

Unless you typed devmodeon in the search box and did a search so you now have a developer options menu item at the bottom of the Device Information menu (More => Settings => Device Information), you are not doing a real factory reset. Once you have enabled developer mode, then More => Settings => Device Information => Developer Options => page 3 => Factory reset your eReader for the wipe back to factory including factory firmware variety of factory reset.

As for the database issue, that is a well known issue and why I use NickelMenu to reboot my Sage before connecting to my computer.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:51 AM   #8
Fafhrd

Hello DNSB,
You're absolutely right. What have is the relation of the size of the cover images and Nickelmenu. There is none. I'm sorry, I have been confusing NickelMenu and Kobo Patches. And for days.... (Groumph !!!). I should have known. It is not the first time I install NickelMenu on Kobo readers. Please accept my apologies.

I installed NickelMenu this morning, then NickelClock. And all seems to be working right.

Thanks for your answers.

Have a good day
Old 05-17-2024, 08:06 AM   #9
Fafhrd

dumber thand dumbest.
When you do the right things, it works. Amazing.

You made my day with a simple remark.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:06 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

No problem. I don't know anyone who can honestly say that they have not had a Doh! moment.